Will a Drake help my flock lay year round?

I’ve seen mixed results that their ducks lay all year round and some stop in the fall/winter. I’ve also seen that certain breeds lay better year round like runners but I have a friend with runners and she said they stopped laying… anyway I’m wondering if a Drake would help them lay year round or if that’s just a myth. Also if your ducks do lay year round what do you do? Lights? Feed? I also heard cat food mixed with regular feed works.
The only thing I’ve read regarding laying year round is adding a light to the coop to give them more light in the winter months. This does work with chickens but I haven’t tried it with the ducks. Honestly, I have not had great luck with ducks, mostly because I always end up with too many Drakes. Drakes can be harder to maintain than predators! I’ve never heard this myth before, how is having a Drake suppose to affect the egg laying?

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

I have two Mallards that are 3 years old and last winter I would get an egg almost every day. We had a mild winter though and I am not sure if just one of them was laying or they were taking turns and it was both of them. The rest of my Hens were either too young or were taking a break as I had a Muscovy that was old enough to lay. I water glassed eggs not expecting to get any and I have used one batch and they were just fine. You cannot hard boil them though as I think it must make the shells too thin as they say they will explode unless you put a hole in them somehow.

I have two Mallards that are 3 years old and last winter I would get an egg almost every day. We had a mild winter though and I am not sure if just one of them was laying or they were taking turns and it was both of them. The rest of my Hens were either too young or were taking a break as I had a Muscovy that was old enough to lay. I water glassed eggs not expecting to get any and I have used one batch and they were just fine. You cannot hard boil them though as I think it must make the shells too thin as they say they will explode unless you put a hole in them somehow.
What’s a mild winter lol

I’ve seen mixed results that their ducks lay all year round and some stop in the fall/winter. I’ve also seen that certain breeds lay better year round like runners but I have a friend with runners and she said they stopped laying… anyway I’m wondering if a Drake would help them lay year round or if that’s just a myth. Also if your ducks do lay year round what do you do? Lights? Feed? I also heard cat food mixed with regular feed works.
Keeping a drake (or a rooster, for chickens) will not increase your egg laying season. The only way to do that is to trick their systems by faking a "no winter" season. That's the reason the artificial lighting works - they think it's still summertime.
This might help - It's an article on preserving eggs that I stumbled across it a while back - and it's VERY helpful. The tip to separate whites from yolks for use in baking makes all the difference in the world!
https://www.serenityoakshomestead.com/post/how-to-freeze-duck-and-chicken-eggs-for-later-use

Back
Top Bottom