Will a Floppy Comb or Missing Points Make Me Loose In The Show Rink?

Whittni

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Virginia
Or deduct points? I bought some really nice Old English Game birds so I could show them and I was just wondering if the rooster's slight frost bite is going to affect him or if I should have him dubbed. Then two of the four hens have floppy combs, how will that affect them?

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, I think that breed of rooster must be dubbed to show. Can't say about the hens since I don't show. I'm sure someone will come along and tell you, though.

Last edited:
Check your SOP, because I also suspect that your birds need to be dubbed to show.

I also suspect that yours are a bit old to be dubbed at this point. But i don't dub, so don't have any experience with it.

The SOP calls for it, I was planning on having a vet do the dubbing so everything was sanitary, pain free and done the right way but I still don't know a 100% if any in my area would do that and I'm certainly not going to do it if I could mess up.

Last edited:
Undubbed he'll be disqualified. I can't imagine a vet doing it but I may be wrong. I've never heard of anyone taking abird to the vet to be dubbed before. It's not at all difficult although I admit I was anxious the first time. They can be dubbed at any age as long as the comb is mature. If you dub too early you can end up having to dub them again. I think there's at least one utube video that shows how to do it.

I'm still a bit too nervous to do it - how bloody is it? I know you're suppose to dip it in ice then use __ kind of scissors to do it...

Your local 4H office might be able to help you find someone who dubs locally to you. A bad dub job will also lose you points. I know Modern Game Bantam cockerels must be dubbed to show and I think OEG are the same.

A 4h office is the last place that I would go for correct answers on questions about exhibiting in real, sanctioned shows. They make up their own rules, which vary from club to club, and which often have little or nothing to do with how a true show is organized. If you want to know more about the rules and regulations which govern how proper shows are run, join the American Poultry Association or the American Bantam Association. Check the Poultry Press for shows in your area that are run by knowledgeable breeders and exhibitors who you can ask. If you want to know how to make a chicken walk, or how a costume class is run, ask 4h. BTW, they discriminate against very young children being allowed to enter their birds in shows. The APA/ABA Youth Program allows any age child, as long as they are old enough to comprehend what is going on. Old English Games also have a parent club which oversees the breed. Check with them for detailed questions, after you've read the Standard. I would question the purity of any OEG which has a floppy comb.

A 4h office is the last place that I would go for correct answers on questions about exhibiting in real, sanctioned shows. They make up their own rules, which vary from club to club, and which often have little or nothing to do with how a true show is organized. If you want to know more about the rules and regulations which govern how proper shows are run, join the American Poultry Association or the American Bantam Association. Check the Poultry Press for shows in your area that are run by knowledgeable breeders and exhibitors who you can ask. If you want to know how to make a chicken walk, or how a costume class is run, ask 4h. BTW, they discriminate against very young children being allowed to enter their birds in shows. The APA/ABA Youth Program allows any age child, as long as they are old enough to comprehend what is going on. Old English Games also have a parent club which oversees the breed. Check with them for detailed questions, after you've read the Standard. I would question the purity of any OEG which has a floppy comb.

Interesting...since every show we have been to has not been a "pretend" show, nor have they been run by 4H. County and state fairs are not 4H events, which is what 4Hers enter into along with other, large poultry shows. The 4H poultry leaders are breeders and exhibitors themselves. Why wouldn't they know what they are talking about? In addition, my suggestion was to ask them for a referral for someone who dubs locally, not for advice on how to show or for the breed standards. I do agree, joining or contacting the OEG club to discuss or clarify breed standard is your best bet to see if your birds fall within standards for the breed.

Im not trying to be argumentative, but 4H is a useful resource, especially to those who are young and/or new to showing, and should not be discounted because of inaccurate ideas on what they do.

Last edited:
Interesting...since every show we have been to has not been a "pretend" show, nor have they been run by 4H. County and state fairs are not 4H events, which is what 4Hers enter into along with other, large poultry shows. The 4H poultry leaders are breeders and exhibitors themselves. Why wouldn't they know what they are talking about? In addition, my suggestion was to ask them for a referral for someone who dubs locally, not for advice on how to show or for the breed standards. I do agree, joining or contacting the OEG club to discuss or clarify breed standard is your best bet to see if your birds fall within standards for the breed.

Im not trying to be argumentative, but 4H is a useful resource, especially to those who are young and/or new to showing, and should not be discounted because of inaccurate ideas on what they do.

I agree. I judge 9 or 10 fairs/4-H shows every summer. With rare exception they are run by people with an interest in poultry. In fact several are run by people who are APA/ABA members & who I see at open shows. Most ask that I judge according to breed standards which I do but I always amke a point of including positive statements about the entries when talking with the young exhibitors. Many times they have birds from a hatchery which are lacking in breed characteristics but they are almost always well cared for & well prepared for show. I got my start many, many years ago showing with 4-H & FFA. I expect this is true of many of today's exhibitors.
Last year in the tie breaker round of a Showmanship class I asked the 2 finalists to name as many varieties of OEGB as they could; one named 27 the winner 29. I'm not sure I can come up with that many off the top of my head in front of a crowd. I think they were well prepared.

Back
Top Bottom