Will a hen kill my baby pigeon?

2 pigeons are going to hatch. I have ameraucanas. Will they peck them to death?
Chickens are carnivoures if you doubt me throw in some baby mice and watch their reaction (naked and blind preferably).
Now imagine for a moment that you already had two baby pigeons picked to death by hens.

I suggest you do what you think is right.

I think I am going to try to move the pigeon family to my shed as soon as the baby is born. Will the parents still take care of it?

Will the parents still take care of it?
There is no way of knowing.

It does not bother some parings and others it does. If there was a way of isolating them from the chickens where they are that would be the best solution.

Moving the pair if done in the cover of darkness so the female does not leave the nest will definitely give you the best result (still no guarantee). You are definitely taking a chance in moving them. The older the squabs are the more likely they are to survive and "NOT" be abandon. Also the more likely they are to survive if you are forced to hand feed.

The pairing will be ready to lay eggs again in approximately 10 more days.
That is if the eggs are abandon.

Your pigeon pair in a perfect world will soon lay a second clutch of eggs if the transfer is successful (if you go that route.) This usually occurs when the first squabs are between the ages of 2 to 3 weeks of age +-. The male then usually does most of the feed of the first hatch of squabs while the hen does the lion share of incubating the 2nd clutch of eggs.

Last edited:
There is no way of knowing.

It does not bother some parings and others it does. If there was a way of isolating them from the chickens where they are that would be the best solution.

Moving the pair it in the cover of darkness so the female does not leave the nest will definitely give you the best result (still no guarantee). You are definitely taking a chance in moving them. The pairing will be ready to lay eggs again in approximately 10 more days.

That is if the eggs are abandon.

I agree!

I think I am going to try to move the pigeon family to my shed as soon as the baby is born. Will the parents still take care of it?
Odds are they will and I think that is a good option. There are no guarantees though. I would try to move their nest intact to the new location.
Some of my chickens are smaller than the pigeons, a few of them are about 7 weeks
This fact could work in your favor. I think you said daddy pigeon succeeded in defending the nest and preventing the young chickens from roosting one night. For the first few days after hatch, the parents usually sit on the babies all the time. For this reason I would consider leaving them where they are until the babies are a few days old and have been fed several times. New hatches are very fragile but they gain strength quickly. So at that point when they are bonded and the chicks are stronger the move could go easier.
(I think you said its not possible to put a cage around the nest where it is?)

My suggestion without pictures of your setup/coop, is to provide SEPARATE housing for pigeons, and chickens. Having same facility for both together is a problem in the making. I did keep pigeons (adult) , and bantam chickens together in loft over winter. There were no baby pigeons during that time period. Loft was big enough so there was no crowding.
Your eggs are just 3 days old, I would just toss those, and remove your pigeons to their own housing. In a week or two, they will lay more eggs. Have nesting area ready for them to choose it if they do like it.
A member here on our pigeon forum, does keep pigeons, and chickens in same coop. The pigeons occupy the top portion, and chickens, bottom. Chickens have NO ACCESS to pigeon portion. Pigeons exit also from their own pop door on top portion, into aviary.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

I could put a wire cage around the nest but some of the chickens are small enough to fit through.
We all have opinions on what you should or should not do. I voiced my opinion on what happened to me personally. One factor that does happen in some cases is that chickens and pigeons form a bond and get along well together. I know of one case and I think it was posted on this site by a member years back if I am not mistaken.

Never be afraid to follow your own instincts you observe the interaction between the birds. I would let that be your guide to what you finally do.

He is a link that shows a number of lofts with pigeons and chickens living in what appears as harmony.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Chicken+and+pigeon+form+bond

Wishing you nothing but the "BEST" keep us a breast. I will be following this post to see the outcome.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom