NatJ Check these chicks out.. they're looking like there's both crested and barring to me.. What do you think?

Um, that's a good point. 🤔
They "shouldn't" have barring, but some of them clearly DO have lines of white across the wings.

Some colors of chickens have markings like that when little, but a different pattern when they grow up (I've seen it in some laced and double-laced chickens, for example: they had lines like that when little, but pretty lacing when they grew up.) But even if that was it, I would expect the lines to be in gold and black, not white and black.

I'll be curious to see how they look in a few weeks and months, to see how it changes as they grow, but for now I have to admit I'm stumped :oops:

Last edited:
Close ups showing heads
20210204_181910.jpg
20210204_181750.jpg

Um, that's good point. 🤔
They "shouldn't" have barring, but some of them clearly DO have lines of white across the wings.

Some colors of chickens have markings like that when little, but a different pattern when they grow up (I've seen it in some laced and double-laced chickens, for example: they had lines like that when little, but pretty lacing when they grew up.) But even if that was it, I would expect the lines to be in gold and black, not white and black.

I'll be curious to see how they look in a few weeks and months, to see how it changes as they grow, but for now I have to admit I'm stumped :oops:
Wonderful🤣 Always going against the grain and always unpredictable.. these chicks suit me hahaha

This is a lot of fun.. Will keep you updated for sure 👍

I still can't see anything, but I'm not saying you're wrong. Might just be having a bad eye day again. Theyl l probably only have tiny crests if they have any. Usually chicks with big crests have those noticeably since day one (just look at polish and spitzhauben chicks)
You're correct as they have a Sulmtaler Dad.. the females have little crests, males crests vary but are a bit bigger.. but not as fluffy as a Polish🙃

Although maybe I'm imagining little crests lol.. we all see what we wanna see 😆
I did that with a bird i was convinced had a spitzhauben mom. Turns out one of my other birds lays white eggs too and I didn't know 😅

It's possible some grow crests and some don't. As for the barring, a lot of my pheonixes grow those feathers and then grow out of that pattern when they're older chicks

Um, that's a good point. 🤔

I think the Sulmtaler colouring has brought the light colour into the barring, (as the hens are a soft light peachy to silvery colour, with the odd lavender feather.. with apricot collars. Zoe has a lavender tail).. switching it from gold to silver. The chicks that aren't barred have the blues and peaches that my Sulmtaler hens (pullets) have as well.. just guessing 😆

I did that with a bird i was convinced had a spitzhauben mom. Turns out one of my other birds lays white eggs too and I didn't know 😅

It's possible some grow crests and some don't. As for the barring, a lot of my pheonixes grow those feathers and then grow out of that pattern when they're older chicks
Thanx for that.. please cross fingers the cute patterns stay 😅

Back
Top Bottom