will baby chick's crusty eye heal on its own

liushihyu

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 30, 2014

My family has been raising chickens and ducks in our backyard for a long time, and a while ago some friends gave us a new flock.
Some baby chicks from this flock has been having this crusty eye. A lot of threads have talked about this already, but what I'd like to know is what will happen if I don't do anything. Originally, I wanted to get them a vet but I live in a super small town and there aren't any poultry vets I know of, and I've never seen anything like this happen to baby chicks before so I really don't know how to treat it. The friends who gave us the flock claim it's mosquito bite and that it will heal on its own, but I don't think it's that simple.
The chicks are still eating normally, but the little guy in this picture had both eyes crusted for a while, he was essentially blind and I always had to move him back to the flock because he got lost constantly and couldn't find food. Today, I noticed that one of the crusty stuff on his left eye fell and I could see his eyeball again, but I don't know if he's ok, nor do I understand how that big crusty thing fell off.
My question is, will this kind of thing heal on its own? I really don't know where to get a vet or how to treat them but I'm really worried.

Back
Top Bottom