will baby chick's crusty eye heal on its own

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liushihyu, Dec 30, 2014.

1. liushihyu

liushihyu New Egg

Dec 30, 2014
    [​IMG]
    My family has been raising chickens and ducks in our backyard for a long time, and a while ago some friends gave us a new flock.
    Some baby chicks from this flock has been having this crusty eye. A lot of threads have talked about this already, but what I'd like to know is what will happen if I don't do anything. Originally, I wanted to get them a vet but I live in a super small town and there aren't any poultry vets I know of, and I've never seen anything like this happen to baby chicks before so I really don't know how to treat it. The friends who gave us the flock claim it's mosquito bite and that it will heal on its own, but I don't think it's that simple.
    The chicks are still eating normally, but the little guy in this picture had both eyes crusted for a while, he was essentially blind and I always had to move him back to the flock because he got lost constantly and couldn't find food. Today, I noticed that one of the crusty stuff on his left eye fell and I could see his eyeball again, but I don't know if he's ok, nor do I understand how that big crusty thing fell off.
    My question is, will this kind of thing heal on its own? I really don't know where to get a vet or how to treat them but I'm really worried.

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    It should.
    mines did after be kicked in its eye by its big brother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by