will black rosecombs and white rosecombs give me blue rosecombs ?

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
Need to know !!!
pop.gif
:frow

Probably not. Blue birds are created by a specific gene.

ETA: I guess I should probably amend this answer. It would depend on what genetics each of the birds possesses. Its probably possible, but complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:
it depends on whether or not the breed is co-dominant but even then it may just be gray. try it out and see what you get, try breeding black with other breeds, and white with other breeds. which are you trying to breed?

chances are they will end up splash or some other unpredictable color. they could also possibly turn out either black or white, which i think is more likely.

i would continue breeding chickens, keeping track and maybe create you own variety of blue! possible also breed blues with different colors

i say experiment!

Last edited:
Katty,

Whats your knowledge of color genetics? The reason I ask is that crossing a bunch of colors may give you a color you are looking for, but it is a 1 in a million chance. Furthermore, if you do get a partcular color, the chances of that particular bird breeding true is slim to non-existent.

One mistake most people make is in the thinking that white and black mixed makes gray. Genetics and feather colors don't work like paint colors. You'll most likely get some white, some black and some with leaking white or black.

#1, depends what's hidden under the white, if it hides blue/ andalusian blue gene, then combine with black it will produce blue.

If both birds carries lavender it will breed blue as well (although different blue to the first example).

for recessive white, yes, dominant white is a different case, takes only one but it's a leaky gene... means sometimes it shows what's hidden underneath, example : pile with black flecks.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I know lavender works the same way. Its recessive and takes two copies of the gene for the bird to exhibit the color. Well I have a lavender cockeral that is exhibiting rust color in his wings. Is this a "dominant" lavender that is leaking? Am I reading too much into it?

Back
Top Bottom