Will black snakes harm my chickens and chicks?

StephanieD

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
I just saw three black snakes in my back yard.....ugh. I hate snakes. Will they harm chickens and chicks?

Well I just KILLED two of the black snakes! I would say they were three feet long. I had the momma and her 4 chicks out this morning but they went right back into their crate. I thought that was strange. I guess the snakes were roaming the yard. I swear they were teasing me as I chased them around with a shovel! The chickens are back out roaming so I maybe they are all left / dead! I know there is at least one more out there...lol well there's lots more out there that I haven't seen! I moved the momma and chicks into the porch.

Well there are at least TWO more in the yard. They must sense baby chicks.... They better watch out. I am like a HAWK on the lookout with my shovel!
rant.gif

Don't know about the chickens but they can eat the baby chicks. I had this bad thing happen to me last year. I hate snakes too. YUCK,
somad.gif

Not to hijack the thread but how do you keep snakes OUT of your coop/run? I have a BILLION snakes out in the woods and pond out back. (and if you think I'm gonna kill a 6 foot snake of ANY species you're wrong, I'm gonna RUN and let them eat whatever they catch)

Have you tried eating them? The snakes, I mean.

I've never seen a snake here but if I ever actually have to kill one, there's not much of him that's not going to get used.

IMy daughter opened the hen house yesterday and there was a snake.  Not sure what kind it was, first I thought a copperhead, but now I'm not sure, howeever oneof my chickens was acting sick last night, hanging its head down with it eyes closed.  She went over to drink water and was leaning against the waterer.  I'm assumng she must have got bit, but what kind of snake if not a copperhead would bite her and cause her to act that way.

It depends on where you live and what other kinds of snakes are in your area. Have you examined her at all to look for a bite wound?

Back
Top Bottom