Will black snakes harm my chickens and chicks?

So a black non-posinous snake bite your chicken in the face and killed it.  I'm sorry but it just doesn't happen that way.  
By killing that snake you just removed one of the best rat traps you could have, the black snake will do you no harm. 

Sorry I F#####g HATE snakes especially one that kills a chicken on especially one that kills egg chicken.

I have had some problems with pests hurting my chickens. here are some pictures of the spreadd

I think i got a picture of whats doing it:

Generally the best way to get rid of this is pinochet

Sorry I F#####g HATE snakes especially one that kills a chicken on especially one that kills egg chicken.

Calm down, dang! Just because your scared of a creature that has been on this earth for many more years than us and will most likely live way longer than us doesn't mean you have to freek out.

Just because you Hate snakes doesn't make them bad. If you continue to kill them your chicken coop may one day become infested with rats and mice that will eat your feed and leave their droppings on everything you try to keep clean. I hope you enjoy that.

Calm down, dang!  Just because your scared of a creature that has been on this earth for many more years than us and will most likely live way longer than us doesn't mean you have to freek out.  

Just because you Hate snakes doesn't make them bad.  If you continue to kill them your chicken coop may one day become infested with rats and mice that will eat your feed and leave their droppings on everything you try to keep clean.  I hope you enjoy that.

I'm not worried about mice my chickens eat them. And theirs the cool new things called mice traps.

Calm down, dang!  Just because your scared of a creature that has been on this earth for many more years than us and will most likely live way longer than us doesn't mean you have to freek out.  

Just because you Hate snakes doesn't make them bad.  If you continue to kill them your chicken coop may one day become infested with rats and mice that will eat your feed and leave their droppings on everything you try to keep clean.  I hope you enjoy that.

I dident mind black snakes I would just get them out of my coop but I bet you wouldn't like them eather if one killed a $75 hen that you have only had for a week to.

I dident mind black snakes I would just get them out of my coop but I bet you wouldn't like them eather if one killed a $75 hen that you have only had for a week to.

Then snake proof the hen house.

The snakes won't try to take hens during the day, so be a responsible chicken keeper and PROTECT your $75 hen.

I will also say a couple of years ago I lost some bantam chicks to a ratsnake. The chicks were very loved, first ones I hatched out and then they were being raised by my two favorite broody bantams.

When I finally caught the snake in the henhouse I was angry, did I think about dispatching the animal in the heat of the moment? Yes, I will admit the thought crossed my mind, but I knew it wasn't the snake's fault. I put it in a pillow case and relocated it a few miles away near a stream. (always relocate wild animals next to a water source)

I took the high road and I am very glad I did. The hen house was not secure and that as MY FAULT, not the snakes. The animal was a perfect specimen, and had every right to live out it's natural life. My mistake killed the chicks, and I am very glad I didn't kill more innocent animals in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
There was a black snake in my nest box once, ugh. It didn't hurt the chickens, luckily. We have had a few black snakes near our coop and none of them hurt the chickens.

Last edited:
A black snake is an excellent friend to have around. They will definitely keep your rat/mice under control. I have personally caught them in VA and Md exceeding 6ft with my best at 7x 10". Even at that size, they would have difficulty eating most adult chickens, some smaller breeds may be in jeapordy from a large snake. The eggs are favored by the snakes though as are the chicks. Only guessing, but judging by the size of my orpington rooster we got last year, by 3-3.5mos old he was too big to be dinner by most snakes. My adult 10-11lb Brahmas eat small snakes they find in our yard and woods.
Florida residents should be very concerned over invasive species like the reticulated pythons that have moved in. They easily grow big enough to take deer and hogs.

I have a 6 foot black snake that killed one of my hens after it ate two of her chicks. I took it way way down the road and let it go. Now, two weeks later, I just found another huge black snake wrapped around another one of my hens. I unwrapped it, and amazingly the hen was still alive. It had eaten all her eggs, but her baby was still there squawking his head off. I took it way way way down the road in the car but now I’m wondering if it was the same snake. Next time I’m going to kill it. This is getting ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom