Will calmest chicken come back?

m11c1

Hatching
7 Years
Aug 22, 2012
Our calmest chicken just flew in to the woods will she come back? she know the coop well and she knows food is there. any comment would help. thanks

Last edited:
I'm a new egg too but from what Ive read on hear id say yer odds are pretty good unless (god forbid) something gets a hold of her. i really hope she returns soon.. good luck & keep us posted please.. hopefully someone on here with more knowledge than me will reply.

Our dog slipped out one day while the chickens were free ranging and she scared one of our white leghorn hens into the woods. She didn't come back and we thought she was toast. Then, 24 hours later , she just reappeared with the flock! She must have gone into hiding and only came out once she felt safe and saw the other chickens out and about. I was stunned that she survived overnight in the woods and nothing ate her!

the hen has not come back for 48 hours. but we have been keeping an eye out for her thanks

Is the place in the woods somewhere she typically goes while free ranging? Some hens have hidden nests and sometimes will go sit on the eggs and come back a few weeks later with chicks in tow. I've read many stories on here of hens that have disappeared and the owners thought the worst, only to have them re-appear like that. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that that may be the case, and that something hasn't happened to her.

Okay before you read the rest of the post imagine this... There is a drive, then a house and behind the house a garden and then the welsh countryside. Got it? Brilliant welcome to my grandmas house from a birds eye view!! :D

So I bought 2 new chicks and I was in the drive, I was just about to close the box and one of them escaped. She ran to the back garden and flew into the wilderness known locally as the welsh countryside. We searched for five hours then rang the farmer we got her from (the farmer gave us another )
This six week old chick hadn't come back on Sunday evening (we lost her in the afternoon) and by Monday night we were all sure she was a goner.
Then lo and behold, Tuesday morning this little chick walked into my grandmas garage for no apparent reason.

Just thought I'd share the story and since your hen knows the coop she's even more likely to come back!! I'm sure you will find her! Keep us updated!! :D

When my hens were younger they would sometimes wander into the forest but never too far, but now that they are full grown they never step in there unless chased into it. Once when my friend was caring for my chickens her rooster scared away my Buff Orpington Butter into the forest. I thought that she was a goner because it was a really cold night that day and my friend said that she also thought she say a fox after her, but the next day she reported that Butter came back from the forest when she went to feed the other hens.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom