Will Chickens eat "Horse apples"?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rrgrassi, Sep 28, 2010.

1. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    We have lots of Horse Apple trees, (aka Bois d' arc or Osage Orange) so I was wondering if chickes can eat the "horse apple".

I know that horses, cows, goats, and other animals do. I also know that they are poisonous to humans.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would not, since they keep bugs away (I'm a woodburner, and have heard of these.).
    People actually put those balls in their houses to keep bugs away.

IMO, anything that keeps bugs away, like citronella, cedar, etc. , I don't want my chickens near, especially eating.

Get those branches and put them in your woodstove, though!!

[​IMG]

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    I would put a small amount in the pen (with other food availible of course) to try it. My chickens are free range and have never eaten anything that killed them. Maybe put it in by another treat and see which one they go for?

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] In my neck of the woods "horse apples" or "road apples" are horse turds. [​IMG] I'm thinking to myself, who'd intentionally feed those to their chickens?? [​IMG]

6. HyLinda

HyLinda Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Warrens, WI
    My thoughts exactly!
    My horse and pony give us an ample supply of horse apples and my chickens go after the fly larvea and undigested oats.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My chickens don't touch the kind of horse apples that fall from the tree. In fact there's at least 30 or 40 of them laying on the ground in the garden, not far from their coop.
    The other kind of horse apple and umm...cow apple they love to dig through. [​IMG]

8. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Glad to see that I wasn't the only one who thought horse poo. I know my chickens will go thru that for whatever they can find to eat in them. The tree (Osage Orange around here) are not really seen that often, and then normally only if it's been planted. I sometimes call them green brain trees.

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Me too. Actually since horses don't digest everything the chickens might kind of like picking through them for bits and pieces.

10. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:Me too. Actually since horses don't digest everything the chickens might kind of like picking through them for bits and pieces.

X3 or what ever....[​IMG]

I was thinking why yes the horse apples..aka horse manure from the neibors on my compost pile... Yes indeed the chickens love picking though them...[​IMG]
    I know nothing about that exotic fruit you PNW folks are talking about...[​IMG]
    ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by