Will chickens eat slugs?

UrbnGardenPeeps

Songster
5 Years
Apr 28, 2017
Moscow, ID
Will chickens eat slugs and if so, how do you get them to like them? We have some little slugs each year and occasionally a couple big banana slugs. I used to have a duck that ate them when I was a kid. Hubby handpicks them off the garden plants and we want the chickens to eat them but they seem not to like the slime and wipe their beaks off in disgust! Thoughts or tips?

My girls weren't interested in them either... maybe roll them in seed? :confused: That's the only thing I can think of that may work. Or dunk them in some red food coloring to spark their interest...? :lau

Some of my girls will eat some of the slugs when they are out free ranging. It all depends on what other moving protein sources are available at the time. They are going to go for the tastiest ones, and reserve the yuckies for later. I have it on good authority from my girls that stink bugs, potato bugs, squash bugs, and hairy caterpillars are on the "avoid at all costs" list. Slugs are on the "it's an acquired taste" list. Gary, perhaps you could do a taste test, and let us know if you agree with my girls??? :plbb

My sister has had slugs in her garden and so I asked her about feeding them to chickens and she replied, "I do give them slugs. The first time it was young chickens and they hadn't gotten used to eating many things. They just looked at them until I pecked at them with my fingers. Then they got so they loved them..."

Last edited:
Mine have eaten a few small ones that just happened to get in the way but they seem to be very low on the desirable food list. I've never tried to make them eat them. Not sure if it's the slime that turns them off or if they just don't like the texture or taste.

Thanks for all the input! Might try the seed idea and otherwise we'll just keep giving them to the girls and see if they change their minds.

Some of my girls will eat some of the slugs when they are out free ranging. It all depends on what other moving protein sources are available at the time. They are going to go for the tastiest ones, and reserve the yuckies for later. I have it on good authority from my girls that stink bugs, potato bugs, squash bugs, and hairy caterpillars are on the "avoid at all costs" list. Slugs are on the "it's an acquired taste" list. Gary, perhaps you could do a taste test, and let us know if you agree with my girls??? :plbb

Im with your girls, the catipillars are gross.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom