Will chickens help my depression?

John: you would get a kick out of the rooster. And free ranging becomes much safer for your hens not to mention the beauty those roosters add to your yard. I m not entirely sure how one should go about introducing a lad to your lasses as my roo grew up with his girls. It can be done though I'm sure. The trick tho is finding one that is good to you as well. As your girls. I would not tolerate a mean one. Where I live there are always roosters in the for sale pages or animal activists who are saving roosters; " re socializing" them if needed and letting them out for adoption for nearly nothing. A rooster would work perfectly on your set up there. It might take your girls some adjustment to him too.

Thanks, it is something we are thinking about, as it would be great to have chicks running around.

I thought I would show you this picture I took of them today. It was so funny, and don't worry, all that was in the bucket was cooked potato peelings and the KFC gravy. They went crazy for it, and I never thought I would see chickens so eager to get into a Bargain Bucket.

Thanks, it is something we are thinking about, as it would be great to have chicks running around.

I thought I would show you this picture I took of them today. It was so funny, and don't worry, all that was in the bucket was cooked potato peelings and the KFC gravy. They went crazy for it, and I never thought I would see chickens so eager to get into a Bargain Bucket.

lau.gif

I have depression, anxiety, and migraines, and I don't have any chickens right now, but I find the rabbits, horses, ducks, geese, and turkeys to be calming. The turkeys play by following me around until I turn back and look at them. If I wake up with a migraine, my mom let's them out in the morning, and they hang around the house churping and purting until I come out to see them. They climb the stairs, sit (And poop) on the barbecue, perch on railings, and hang around my window, since I've got a wild bird feeder. They only really tolerate being petted when they're on the roost right now, but they seem to prefer me to their geese buddies.

Baby rabbits are just heartwarming balls of fluff. If you pet them regularly, they look for you when you open the barn door. We've got a hinge-top growing box for our litters, and the 4months that are in it now all climb up for pets. Horses, if you have the time and money, tend to understand depressed humans best. They can usually pick up on emotions and get when to be cuddly. I've got a 5 year old gelding who we bottle fed, and he's more in touch with how to be people than horse!

Well I am so happy with my chooks. Over the last week we have been getting between 5 or 6 eggs a day from the 6 of them, and some are double yolkers.They never stop eating. They eat anything that moves, and if it doesnt move, they push it till it does, so they can eat it. And I am sure they think my wife and I are chickens too. They sit with us, go where we go, chat with us. Although I feel they may understand my wifes cackling better than my talking :)

Here they are all around my feet, chilling in the sun on the floor of my bench.

And in this one, they are playing in my cement mixing tray that I have been using to catch sawdust when cutting wood. I will have to get them a sandbox so they can dust themselves properly. They are the best pets I have had.

I think those chickens were very lucky to be adopted by you and your wife. It's lovely that they all hang out together and with you guys like that.
I was thinking about a sand pit for my 5 chickens too, but we have a lot of ferrel cats in the area, and I think the cats might try to use it as a litter box :/

I've had issues most of my life (agoraphobia, anxiety disorders, chronic depression etc.) But did not get into therapy till I was 34. If I had been treated when I was young maybe I would have had an easier time of it. Of course way back then, they didn't have the arsenal of new meds like they have now and more sophisticated talk therapy. I've gone long periods without meds (raising my son )and suffered greatly from it. I didn't want the stigma of being mentally ill .

Mental illness is not something anyone choses to have. It can be genetic, situational, or chemical etc. I am never surprised when talking to people reveals they also suffer from depression and are on meds. This happens on a frequent basis I think because people are more likely to to confide in sympathetic strangers.

I've been off and on many different meds and finally found one that works. I don't mean I'm living on a nice pink cloud but, I am able to get thru the day without crying over every minor disappointment, pet adoption commercial or sad tv show etc. I was able to get into a day program where they had several group therapy periods-being with others who truly understand what it is like to be depressed really helped. Of course insurance runs out, and there you go.

I am 65 now, my son lives across the country - has a good job, phones mama once a week, and flies out a couple times a year. It was very hard for him growing up, to have a mother too exhausted, emotionally flat, and under a dark cloud to be much of a parent. The teen years were especially bad. He moved to a dorm during his college years even tho he was close enough to commute. We both needed the distance. He matured quite a bit in college and I think I've just gotten too old to have the energy to fall apart as often as I used to.

We no longer communicate by arguing - we really listen and talk to each other. I am so very proud of the way he grew up and think he realizes I did the very best I could raising him under the circumstances.

I wish all the best for you - medications can make alot of difference - it is not a weakness to take them. No one thinks a diabetic is weak for needing insulin, or someone on meds for heart disease etc.

Back
Top Bottom