Will chickens help my depression?

Hi, Im still here, just been really busy back and to doing viewings on other house, not sold yet.

The ladder seems to work fine when they all go to bed at 5.15pm in single file, which is really funny. But just one of them doesnt like coming down them. She can go up no problem, but I have to let her out of the main door in the morning or she will stay there all day. We have called her Anne, as in Anne Frank. Even when she is out all day playing out in the garden with the others, she still likes her space.

Korma is still the leader of the pack. Another one we call Noodle, who eats everything in sight, was digging in my flower bed the other day, and you know the way they scratch by digging in and kicking their legs back, well noodle was that frantic tryig to find food, that her legs were going like the clappers and Im sure she tried to do both legs at the same time, because she nearly fell of the garden wall.

Quote: I am sorry to hear you are going through that with your parents divorce. I try to imagine what my teenage daughters must have been going through and what they are still going through. But you know what, without doubt, your parents love you to bits and will always be there for you, just not in the same house.

When I talked with my daughters early in the divorce, how they are feeling about it, they told me that they understood and just wanted us to be happy, even if that meant being apart. Regardless how supportive they have been, I still live with a horrible guilt for what has happened, and I am sure your parents will feel just the same. They need you and you need them, and you love them and they love you.

I remember my a few months ago when I was talking to my daughters in the car outside their home. The youngest one (16), when I asked if she was being good for her mum, says "mums a pain, you dont know what its like having to live with her". Then we all burst out laughing as my eldest (19) say "dad lived with her for 20 years, I think he does". After we had a good laugh, I told them they needed to be good to their mum, their mum loves them and wants the best for them. I told them that just because their mum makes them clean their room or help out with the housework, doesnt mean she's a pain.

My Ex-wife and I love our girls, and they love us, that's a wonderful thing. I wish you all the best, and everything will work out for you, you'll see!

I endured-and barely survived- my parents marriage. To stay together for the sake of the children is not always the best thing for the children. John, you may have saved your girls more misery than you can ever imagine. let up on yourself. The past is just that. 'Now.' 'tomorrow'- these are the words that matter.

Hi John:

Just wanted to get down a post as I've read 1/2 of the thread and want to be able to find it again and follow it.

Good work on finding a beautiful place to raise chickens. I think caring for something else other than yourself gives a sense of self worth that is hard to replicate. It makes sense to find these humorous chickens after your daughters are now old enough and independent. They still need you though in other ways--your daughters. Never under estimate that. Sounds like you've always done right by them and they will always know that.

Maybe I'm not depressed...but it does run in my family. I'm more introverted and can spend oodles of time on my own...too much so. I've found my friends have about a bazillion questions for me regarding those chickens. And I love answering every single one. :) Fun conversation starter!

I love the looks of your coop and set up too BTW. Gorgeous place to raise chickens.....

Last edited:
I have watched them on videos when they scratch then look down from side to side to see if there is anything there. That makes me laugh every time I see it.

I fell and broke my back in Jan. 2011 we got our first chickens in April 2011 and they have been so much fun to watch. My doctor asked me if I was depressed due to all the pain and trouble I had walking, he wanted to give me something for depression because pain will cause that he said. I wanted him to fix my arm, chiropractor did that for me. When I told him that I had chickens to keep my "depression" in check he looked at me as if I were a nut. I told him that the best medication was sitting outside watching my chickens chase and catch a lizard and then chase the one that had it, steel it and run as if it's life depended on it. The form of "foodball" they play is hilarious. They remind me of an episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel run in the park with arms flaying around as if they would fly. Good medicine is what they are and some are needy emotionally I have one that will peck your feet till you pick her up and give her some love then she goes on her way content as can be. They help us to live past the tips of our noses.

Yes, they are so fun to watch. Yesterday I went out with my dog for a walk and got about a quarter of a mile down the road when I heard a horn honk and a chicken cluck. Looking back, I saw my little white rooster had followed me down the road and he was just standing there in the middle of the road. Luckily the cars stopped until I got to him to pick him up and carry him home. I never thought a chicken would want to go for a walk!!! Hahaha!!!

Your comment about not wanting to "let them down"...oh how I have been there. That is depression talking. Chickens' needs are very simple compared to many other pets/animals and I've had everything from the standard dogs and cats to llamas, horses, cattle, parrots, fish, reptiles...just about any branch of the animal kingdom you can name. Chickens need fresh water, the correct food for their age, a safe place to live (safe from bad weather, predators of every size and description and no pieces of wire or shiny bits of glass they might gobble down in their yard) and not much else. Like all living things, something can go wrong, they can get sick or injured or die without warning. But, they are some of the most amazing, fascinating, happy, interesting, amusing creatures on this earth. A happy hen is a busy hen and they are a wonderful lesson to those of us who worry about yesterday or tomorrow to LIVE IN THE MOMENT. They can become quite affectionate to those who take the time to get to know them. Spending time with happy chickens will lower your blood pressure and put a smile on your face. If you do your homework, create a safe, healthy environment for them and allow them to be the creature nature intended them to be they will reward you with hours of peace of mind, delicous fresh eggs and a peek into the way a chicken happily goes through life.

Back
Top Bottom