Will Chickens Respect Hot Wire Fencing in our horse pasture?

Siggie

Songster
Dec 27, 2015
Northshore MN
I recently built my coop/run attached to our barn and inside our horse pasture. They have a 165 sq ft of run for 22 chickens (will be culling a few roosters in the fall though) but when I am home, I want to allow them to free range in the pasture to benefit from the manure piles harboring a feast of little flies and bugs! My question is will they respect the hot wire fencing? I have 4 strands of hot rope now and plan to add another very close to the ground to discourage the chickens from leaving the pasture (I realize they could fly over it if they really wanted to).

I have 4 dogs and do not want the chickens roaming outside the pasture for fear one of my dogs will get hold of them. I really don't want to have to buy the electrified netting to enclose a 3 acre pasture either. If they touch the hot wire fence will they respect it and not try to scramble under it? My pasture is surrounded by about 20 feet of forest and I am hoping the manure piles will hold more interest for them and they will just follow the horses around?

Any experiences to share or suggestions?

Last edited:
They should, especially if they get a good shock. Ours won't fly over the three foot tall welded wire, but we also cut a pass through for them. So in theory it should work.

Thanks! I will let you know how it all turns out
big_smile.png
They have a few weeks yet before I even think about letting them free range. They go into their new coop on Saturday! (they are only 5 weeks old) I just stained the entire coop and run tonight so I will give it a day or so to let it dry before putting them in there. These are pics before I stained.

Thanks!! I'm pretty proud of myself because I built it all by myself
big_smile.png
my first build project! There are flaws but I don't care and neither will the chickens ha ha! My greenhouse is my next project!

I see no flaws, your green house will be just as impressive I'm sure. Your birds are gonna be happy.

First, beautiful coop. Nice job. Amazing what can be accomplished with a few power tools. If this old biddy can build a hoop coop, a couple of tractors, and a green house, I'm sure you can complete your green house also!

However, I am not so sure about your electric fence idea. Would love to hear other folks chime in about chickens and the standard electric fences. I have Premier1 electric poultry netting with a charger that hooks up to a car battery. It packs a pretty strong jolt, but I can grab hold of the fence and not feel much of anything, unless I take my shoe off and stick my toe in the grass. Who needs a voltage meter??? Then, it will curl my hair! BUT, my young chicks can squirt through the lower squares on that fence and not bat an eye. Evidently, poultry feet don't conduct electricity as well as my toe does. However, when the birds get full sized, and are standing on the ground... and reach through the fence, I assume they are well grounded then, and their comb touches the fence... then they do some squacking!!! So, I guess I would say... it all depends!

First, beautiful coop. Nice job. Amazing what can be accomplished with a few power tools. If this old biddy can build a hoop coop, a couple of tractors, and a green house, I'm sure you can complete your green house also!

However, I am not so sure about your electric fence idea. Would love to hear other folks chime in about chickens and the standard electric fences. I have Premier1 electric poultry netting with a charger that hooks up to a car battery. It packs a pretty strong jolt, but I can grab hold of the fence and not feel much of anything, unless I take my shoe off and stick my toe in the grass. Who needs a voltage meter??? Then, it will curl my hair! BUT, my young chicks can squirt through the lower squares on that fence and not bat an eye. Evidently, poultry feet don't conduct electricity as well as my toe does. However, when the birds get full sized, and are standing on the ground... and reach through the fence, I assume they are well grounded then, and their comb touches the fence... then they do some squacking!!! So, I guess I would say... it all depends!
Thanks!.... it will be a learning process I think and then I will let you all know how it worked out
big_smile.png

Sweet run!!
Is that a pop door built into the people door?

How did you seal the mesh around that tree trunk.....does the tree sway much down that low?
Any plans on how to deal with the snow load on the run roof?
Thanks! and YES! isn't it cute!! As far as the tree, I put in supports around the tree giving it approx. 2" for sway and then I put several layers of hardware mesh around with sharp points curled up the tree and sticking up and out...kind of like the same concept they use for pigeons on tall buildings. The mesh will give when the tree sways and I am hoping if anything tries to crawl in, they will get caught up on one of the layers of sharp points from the raw edges of the mesh. (the tree sways a little but not much that low)

As far as the snow load, I have a long scraper we use for the house, I am just going to have to be diligent about scraping the coop roof off as well when it snows

Back
Top Bottom