1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will cracked eggs still hatch?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WeNeedDrPhil, Aug 26, 2016.

1. WeNeedDrPhil

WeNeedDrPhil Just Hatched

Aug 14, 2016
    A few of our duck eggs cracked thanks to our chickens walking all over them.Is there a chance the will still hatch? The duck is broody.The eggs have some dent like cracks and a few line cracks but no leak or large splice.

UPDATE: I convinced my mom to tape the eggs together and put them under her. The duck is so easily distracted by her 1 duckling

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Are the eggs about to hatch?

3. WeNeedDrPhil

Aug 14, 2016
    They had 20 ish days left I think.They were all fertile because we checked and all of them had embryos

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Well, if the duck has a duckling, she is going to leave the nest soon and the eggs in it. Taping the eggs probably won't work and you will most likely lose them. [​IMG]

Do you have an incubator you can put them in when the duck gets up?

5. Yes!put them in the incubator!

I know a very lucky ducky named crashie, her egg was cracked and she hatched!

6. WeNeedDrPhil

Aug 14, 2016
    Unfortunately I don'thave an incubator, however I have seperated the duckling from her mom and now the broody duck is alone.She hasn't gotten up since. I'm suprised the tape is holding up.The duck is stepping on them as she sits but none broke.Let's hope they are fine :fl

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  7. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We've tried many things, only 2 we found to end in successful hatches were wax and clear nail polish. We normally only repair eggs that haven't started process. If egg cracks in bator, it usually means it's going to explode! Lol if under broody hen we'll candle it, if looking good, repair it, if not, it's gone. JOHE

8. goosiesnougs

goosiesnougs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2014
    New England
    I melt candle wax on them! I accidentally cracked an egg while I was candling and used melted wax from a no scented candle on day 13 and the chick hatched without ANY PROBLEM[​IMG] Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by