Will eggs hatch after being in the fridge?

baddraw

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 28, 2008
Yelvington Ky.
I have a friend that I get eggs from. He puts them in the fridge daily. He has roosters. Just wondered if they would hatch? I'm afraid if I get started raising chickens I will get hooked, so wanting to get started churp I mean cheep before getting to serious.
Thanks

If you have a choice, don't use refrigerated eggs. But that said, I've hatched refrigerated eggs before. Just make sure you gradually warm them to room temp and let sit for at least one day at that temp.

Also you might be increasing the chances of hatching roos with the refrigerated eggs.

Hi,, they will and do, i wouldnt recommend setting them after 6 days of it,

We hatched them as a test already at 4-5 days of it and had good results, we didnt try any over 5 days. this was about 3 years ago when we tried and we where amazed at the hatch rate from them 75% hatch rate on 100% fetility.

Not bad for frigde eggs. remember this was a test and i dont ever recommend storing eggs in the fridge that you plan to hatch....But when in a pinch and you got eggs in there go for it..

Charlie
jumpy.gif

I have had people ask for hatching eggs and didn't have as many as they wanted...Had extra fresh 2 day old eggs in the refridge and they asked for those to try...warmed them up to room temps and set them in the bator...they had a hatch with them not as good as fresh set but decent...

What everyone is saying matches my experience too. Once, I set a few eggs from the fridge along with some fresh. Fresh eggs - 100% hatch, Fridge eggs - 50% hatch (and almost a full day later). But still, it was better than I had thought...

Back
Top Bottom