Will friendly ducklings learn timid behaviors from skiddish adult ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dmm767, Jun 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dmm767

dmm767 In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2019
    I've got three 5 week old ducks in my backyard right now. On Monday I had 4... Their pen now has fencing along the top as well as the sides thanks to a hungry hawk teaching me the hard way. I'll be moving from my current suburban house to a dream home on 9 acres in late June. I've already drawn up my plans for the duck run and have built the chicken coop, etc. but before I buy my second round of ducklings to really fill in my flock, I'm afraid the temperament of my current ducks are going to sour my relationship with my potential new ducklings. If the current 3 are extremely timid around people will new ducklings introduced to the flock in a few month's time learn from their reaction to my presence and become less friendly? Just a thought I wanted to share and see if you all had any experience with that, thanks!

The Phantom likes this.
  2. Anime2lover

Anime2lover Songster

Apr 17, 2019
    Id like to know as well. So ill be watching this.

dmm767 and The Phantom like this.
  3. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Usually if you put a wild one in with tame ones he will come around but it doesn’t work they other way around.

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    It might be a good idea to wait until you finish moving and get settled to get any more ducks. You've got to spend a lot of time holding and cuddling little ones to make them bond with you and be less timid and that would be really hard to do in the middle of a move.

I'm trying to deal with a new puppy and 11 ducklings all at once and I don't have time to do any of it very well so all my ducklings think I'm the ax murderer and I've got an unruly puppy.

I feel so bad for you losing a duck to a hawk. I lost my drake to a peregrine falcon in December and like you, my whole run is netted overhead now. A very painful lesson to learn for sure.

5. dmm767

dmm767 In the Brooder

Jun 4, 2019
    Thanks for the advice DuckyDonna. We weren't planning on getting more ducklings until we moved anyways but I'm happy you stressed the importance of interacting and bonding with the ducklings. I think this next go-round we'll be able to focus on establishing a friendly relationship with the ducks.

6. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN"

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Also bear in mind that around 5 Weeks is when pretty much all ducklings think your an ax murderer. They are growing feathers and I imagine it does not feel great to be touched. Even my most imprinted duckling went through this stage. Sometimes they turn back around with treats and spending time with them. .and sometimes they just decide at that point to be a duck forever :p
    Most of them do not really want to be touched or picked up. It's just their nature.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Hello.. Actually in most cases the scared ones follow the lead of the tame ones because Ducks don't like to be scared. I've gotten a few Calls straight off of ponds with little human contact and they are tame enough.

dmm767 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: