Will Gable end vents keep out raccoons?

Auh ok! Thanks so much for clarifying that!
gopher/chicken wire is easily bendable and breakable not to mention it rust quickly. this stuff holds up for decades. i use it and storm (welded) wire as they last soooo much longer and are extremely durable. i live in hurricane and predator lane and mine has held up for over 30 years. (original pen was great grandfathers) so that can attest for how strong it is

gopher/chicken wire is easily bendable and breakable not to mention it rust quickly. this stuff holds up for decades. i use it and storm (welded) wire as they last soooo much longer and are extremely durable. i live in hurricane and predator lane and mine has held up for over 30 years. (original pen was great grandfathers) so that can attest for how strong it is
Im sold! Gomna go get somernn get to work. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

Yes, gable vents should be predator proofed. If you're making your own by cutting out a hole, use hardware cloth to screen it over. If buying metal ones for a house, the louvers themselves should keep out something as big as a racoon, but they also usually are backed with mesh to keep out smaller critters from attics. Good luck

Then you just staple it around the area you cut?
No to staples, unless you're screwing a piece of trim wood over it for extra security.

Other option is fender washers and screws, you can see a couple on the sides of the window (note that I don't have as many screws in there as I probably should, my entire coop is surrounded by the run which provides some level of security):
coop4.jpg

I hope you aren't doing little vent covered gable vents, it looks like you don't have any vents at all right now, so you need large vents, like most of the triangles opened up on both sides, if you live in a hotter environment.

No to staples, unless you're screwing a piece of trim wood over it for extra security.

Other option is fender washers and screws, you can see a couple on the sides of the window (note that I don't have as many screws in there as I probably should, my entire coop is surrounded by the run which provides some level of security):
View attachment 3558263

I hope you aren't doing little vent covered gable vents, it looks like you don't have any vents at all right now, so you need large vents, like most of the triangles opened up on both sides, if you live in a hotter environment.
Im gonna cut 'windows' in similair to your picture. I got the hardware cloth and supplies. I do have a drill so I can use the washers n screws- Thanks! I do live in a hot and low humid area in California.

Back
Top Bottom