Will hens Raise their own?

Quote:
True, but you can't completely remove a chickens natural instinct. Yes the hatch rates will be extremely low to non-existent, but left to themselves, I'm sure they would at some point. They are, after all still chickens, bred from the same original jungle fowl.

Not so like in the case of the white leghorns, they will spend their whole life and never go broody. Been breed out of them.

Just like BB white turkeys they cant even breed without help.

So, would you recommend segregating one hen with the eggs from the rest of the chickens? I suppose I can just take my chances... 2 down, 4 eggs close to hatching. I did raise these chickens from day 2 or 3.
I have heard that extensive "bad" breeding has hurt the natural ability to brood well.

yeah, that chick needs to be removed, that hen is confused by the chick hatching, instinct told her to set on the egg and what to do, but the chick itself has her confused. It happens with first time mamas sometimes, or else she's letting other hens pick on it because she's not sure what to do with it.

I've been lucky with broodies, most have been great after the hatch, but I had one young hen was a failure as a mother. Get him and any others that hatch out and put them in a brood box with a lamp and raise him yourself.

If you can tell which hen is being the bully you could just let the other one try, but since that chick is already bloody, he's probably doomed ... I'd take all their chicks this time and let them try again down the road. they're usually calmer the second time.

Last edited:
Just my opinion, but when we had multiple mothers in the same pen with multiple nests, they fought over who's chick was who's until all the chicks died. Everytime we had one hatch it would barely be dry and it would be pecked to death by the mothers. These are silkies and cochin mothers mind you, but let's say they didn't follow Solomon's Mom in the story. They wanted to go ahead and split the thing in half.

hahaha..... funny.

I'll keep a close watch now. The back on the baby is not really bloody, just no feathers/skin. It is peeping and I have given water. We'll see...
Thanks for your help. I truly appreciate it.

So if you only let one hen set per nest, how do you keep the others from helping without completely segregating?

Back
Top Bottom