Will I ever get one egg??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LilChickCoop, Nov 23, 2010.

1. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Here's a rundown of my flock:

Fluffy- 6 mo EE cross (Cochin?)- Never laid an egg- Integrated into flock early Sept.
    Chaka Khan- 18 mo. old EE- Allegedly a good layer of green eggs (as told to me by previous owner)- Integrated into flock mid-September
    Ivory- 18 mo. old White Rock- Coming out of moult (almost has all of her feathers back)- Integrated into flock in October
    Pepper- 18 mo. old Black Australorp- Just finished with moult- Integrated with Ivory

Oh- I do have to add that two chickens (which turned out to be roos) were rehomed (to a great home) last week.

The only eggs I have ever seen are:
    - The ceramic egg I put in the nesting box
    - The sympathy eggs my friend gave me

They eat: Purina Flock Raiser, oyster shell, leftovers occasionally
    They free roam for a few hours every day in a yard- checked it already- nothing..

Oh, and I am in Central Florida so weather is not really a problem.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    I could be mistaken but isn't flock raiser a chick starter feed? It's 20% protein. Layers should be on layer feed, about 16%. you might consider that.

other than that, they might still be adjusting to things

3. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    Now, I had them on the Layena feed until last week. Some locals around here receommended upping their protein since they were finishing up with their molt (only the WBR has some tail feathers to grow). The people I got the WBR and the BA from both had them on the 20% protien feed and they both claimed that they were getting eggs from the girls....

The chick starter feed is 22% protein.... it is a different product.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  4. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Wouldn't think feed to be a problem. I know plenty of folks that use flock raiser with availability of oyster shells, if the chickens want them. Chickens don't like change wethers it's getting rid of a roo, or moving to a new flock. Since they are new birds for you and some have recently been through a moult, I would think they will eventually lay. Give it a little more time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by