Will injured hen stop laying?

Fallen Leaf Farm

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
One of my 1 yr old hens hurt her leg on Friday. I have her in a dog kennel in the house while she recuperates. I'm not sure if she fractured her leg or it's a bad sprain, but it is swollen and she is non-weight bearing on it. There was a lot of heat in the leg thru Saturday night, but the heat has been gone since. She has access to food and water without having to move. I remove her from the kennel twice a day and clean the poop from under her. She has started to act like she wants to put weight on it, but then doesn't.
My question is, will she stop laying while she is recouperating? She did lay an egg on Friday, but nothing since. I just need to know if I need to worry about her getting egg bound. Also, when I return her to the coop, will it be like intoducing a new hen? Will they be battling it out? I think she was rather high in the pecking order.
Poor little Squirt. Thanks for the help.

I missed your part about when she is well. Yes you will still have to watch them when she returns, even if she was the boss hen the pecking order will have to be worked out again. I dont think you have to worry about her getting egg bound.

Thanks. It's been a rough week around here, lost an unhealthy chick and a healthy hen. Can't bear to lose another!

Back
Top Bottom