Will just two hens keep each other warm in winter? (My first post!)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jnatelle, Sep 12, 2016.

1. jnatelle

jnatelle New Egg

Sep 6, 2016
    I had four hens and too much free ranging led two to be taken by something that came out of the woods (I'm thinking fox). So I'm left with two and am not thinking of getting more before I build a bigger coop, which will probably be in the spring.

All of this is to ask this question: will just two hens be able to provide enough body heat to keep each other warm on New England winter nights in a Pawhut chicken coop? Thanks all!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Obviously, more would be better but chickens are pretty tough if they have a draft-free coop. Here's a great article on keeping your birds warm https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures
    It's actually a good thing that you have a smaller coop - less interior space to heat. I'd probably bank straw bales around it on top for extra insulation. Just my thoughts.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes it's a good thing you don't have a large coop with only two birds to warm it up. You can also tack a towel to the roost bar to help keep their feet warm. Chickens like to lay their head on their feet and the towel with add a bit of warmth. The hay bales are good to put around the sides of coop which generally get the most wind. If you have a solid covered run, the top will give some protection from the elements. Some folks use a heavy tarp around the sides as a wind break also. Be sure your coop has enough ventilation up high above the birds.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can also post on your state thread and ask how others winterize their coop / birds. Just put state name in search box and it will come up.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

As long as the coop is well ventilated and not drafty, I don't see why two hens shouldn't be able to do just fine. With that said, I always recommend having a minimum of three birds in a flock, so that even if you lose one (chickens are oh so creative finding ways to die...) you won't have a single lonely chicken.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by