Will my chickens adjust to a new coop?

LemonyCatapult

Songster
Jul 27, 2018
London, Ontario
022A1B71-D4AD-4578-8469-B395656B9D6B.jpeg
We currently have a small flock of 7 free range chickens who are very much in a routine of exiting their coop when the sun rises, foraging all day, and returning to their coop for night. We are now in the process of renovating our garage into a new, larger, more weather- and predator-proof coop for them. Are they likely to adjust right away?

I’m afraid that they will just perch in a tree in the yard rather than go to the opposite side of the yard that they are less familiar with to get in their new coop. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I leave them inside for a couple days and then let them outside again when they seem comfortable?

Not an urgent question but I’d like their transition to be as smooth and stress free as possible!

I’ve always locked mine in for 2 days with food and water of course. If it’s a walk in coop you could sit with them. But mine are spoiled. A low light red bulb (very low wattage) IMO helps them at night so they can see some of their new surroundings in the dim light. Or if you have windows turn on yard lights. Best wishes

I’ve always locked mine in for 2 days with food and water of course. If it’s a walk in coop you could sit with them. But mine are spoiled. A low light red bulb (very low wattage) IMO helps them at night so they can see some of their new surroundings in the dim light. Or if you have windows turn on yard lights. Best wishes
Thank you! Very helpful

I wouldn't lock the chickens up that works better when they are babies. They could fight and feel really stressed inside imo.
I would put a temp fence around the new coop area where their only choice at roost time would to go into the new coop. They will still likely feel stress at dusk but only for a day or tso, I think that's the least stressful way personally

Ive actually had to separate a flock from their coop and they could still see the old coop even but couldn't access it so they figured it out and now have forgotten their new place was ever new to them.

I wouldn't lock the chickens up that works better when they are babies. They could fight and feel really stressed inside imo.
I would put a temp fence around the new coop area where their only choice at roost time would to go into the new coop. They will still likely feel stress at dusk but only for a day or tso, I think that's the least stressful way personally

Ive actually had to separate a flock from their coop and they could still see the old coop even but couldn't access it so they figured it out and now have forgotten their new place was ever new to them.
That’s a great idea, thanks!

How big will the new 'coop' be?
Will there be windows for some light?
Do you have pics?
I would lock them in the new coop for 3-4 days, just get it over with.
Otherwise you'll be carrying them into the new coop every night, and maybe having to get them down from tree branches, for who knows how long.

We went from prefab to a new large coop built into our outbuilding. When our birds came out of the small prefab coop in morning I moved all their food to the coop area in outbuilding next to their old coop. They came in for food/fresh corn too and checked out the new place. They were completely free ranged at that time and liked the bigger area and higher roosts and we didnt have an issue at all. We have since added a large run to it because of hawk attacks and we couldnt be happier, no more chicken poo on porches and worrying about our new puppy eating it.

How big will the new 'coop' be?
Will there be windows for some light?
Do you have pics?
I would lock them in the new coop for 3-4 days, just get it over with.
Otherwise you'll be carrying them into the new coop every night, and maybe having to get them down from tree branches, for who knows how long.
I don’t have pics but we are sectioning off half of our one car garage for them and transforming it into the coop of their dreams. There’s a large window and also yard lights that shine through. That’s a good point, thanks!

Since it sounds like the coop will be well sized for the number of birds locking them in a few days shouldn't cause any issues. I also got a new coop this past spring and locked my girls in for 2 days. They were a little confused on day 3 and had to be herded towards the new coop but after that they got the hang of it without any further intervention.

Back
Top Bottom