Will my chickens remember me when I leave for college?

kaceypitcher

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
Hello everyone!

I have been a longtime fan of this website ever since I started raising chickens with my father my sophomore year of high school. I am now about to start my second year of college, and have a nagging worry that I hoped could be addressed. I go to college a few hours outside of my hometown. Due to COVID-19, I was sent home in February and have remained home all through the summer. I took the opportunity of being home to raise six new baby chicks (Biscuit, Alaska, Maggie, Amelia, Rose, and Dawn, and they are my first flock that I have raised entirely on my own. When they were young, they lived in my room with me next to my desk. They would listen to my online class lectures, we would have little movie nights together on a towel in my room, I would feed them crushed cheerios from my hand. Needless to say, I became very attached to my chickens, and they became attached to me.

My father and I built them a newer, bigger chicken coop outside where they live at night, and they are free-range around our backyard during the day. Whenever I'm outside, they run and see me. They follow me around and recognize my voice. I love them so, so much, and have done absolutely everything I can to keep them safe, happy, and cared for. We even have cuddle time where I just sit outside with them and they nap on my lap.

My plans have had to recently change, and I am going back to college much earlier than expected. I will be leaving in three weeks. I am terrified that my kind, wonderful girls will forget me once I have left. I am leaving them much sooner than I would want to, but unfortunately college does take precedence. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge that can help assuage my fears? Thank you so much.

IMG-0005.jpg IMG-0033.jpg IMG-0090.jpg IMG-9490.JPG IMG-9572.jpg IMG-9600.jpg IMG-9650.jpg IMG-9694.jpg IMG-9712.jpg IMG-9752.jpg IMG-9891.jpg IMG-9953.jpg

I am terrified that my kind, wonderful girls will forget me once I have left.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Your flock is super lovely! :love

It's true chickens can recognize up to 100 faces.. and yes they have memory.

Going against you is their age.. I forgot a LOT of people and events that took place say before I was four years old. I don't know when that cut off will be for chickens.

But yes they recognized my visitors they were familiar with but had not seen for a very long period. They also know strangers. It will probably depend how long you are gone before they see you again. But once you come back if they don't instantly recognize you then it won't take long before they settle in again. Chicken social engagements is quite important to them.

Call me crazy.. I might see if Dad would help you Skype or Face Time with the chickens once a week or so to let them hear your voice and such. :p

I hope you have a fantastic college adventure and the girls keep the roost warm for ya while your gone! :wee

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for reading my post, especially @orloffer and @EggSighted4Life for your thoughtful and wonderful replies. I'm sorry for taking such a long time to respond to your kind messages, it's been a whirlwind since I made this post! I was working nonstop at two jobs to save up for a car to come home and visit my wonderful girls. Right after that, I moved back into my dorm for college. I just had my first day of classes yesterday!

I miss my chickens terribly, and it was so hard to say goodbye to them. The day before I left for college, they started laying eggs! :love I was so proud. There was even a cute full circle story involved: one of my chickens the day I was leaving got an egg stuck to her feathers on her tush. It was just like when they were little and one of them had a bout of pasty butt. It's nice to know that even when they get older, they still need me.

Thankfully, my dad has been taking care of them for me while I am gone. I ask about them every day, and I am sent videos of them often. I even got the chance to face-time them last night! I can't wait to see them again. I am very hopeful that they will remember me.

I was so, so happy to see people reply to my post, and with such kindness. It was a wonderful introduction to posting on Backyard Chickens. Hopefully when I am older and have taken care of many more chickens, I will be experienced enough to help someone who loves their chickens just as much.

Attached below are pictures of me and my chickens leading up to and including my last day with them!
IMG-0721.jpg IMG-0724.jpg IMG-0832.jpg IMG-0837.jpg IMG-0838.jpg IMG-0841.jpg IMG-0845.jpg

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for reading my post, especially @orloffer and @EggSighted4Life for your thoughtful and wonderful replies. I'm sorry for taking such a long time to respond to your kind messages, it's been a whirlwind since I made this post! I was working nonstop at two jobs to save up for a car to come home and visit my wonderful girls. Right after that, I moved back into my dorm for college. I just had my first day of classes yesterday!

I miss my chickens terribly, and it was so hard to say goodbye to them. The day before I left for college, they started laying eggs! :love I was so proud. There was even a cute full circle story involved: one of my chickens the day I was leaving got an egg stuck to her feathers on her tush. It was just like when they were little and one of them had a bout of pasty butt. It's nice to know that even when they get older, they still need me.

Thankfully, my dad has been taking care of them for me while I am gone. I ask about them every day, and I am sent videos of them often. I even got the chance to face-time them last night! I can't wait to see them again. I am very hopeful that they will remember me.

I was so, so happy to see people reply to my post, and with such kindness. It was a wonderful introduction to posting on Backyard Chickens. Hopefully when I am older and have taken care of many more chickens, I will be experienced enough to help someone who loves their chickens just as much.

Attached below are pictures of me and my chickens leading up to and including my last day with them!
View attachment 2309281View attachment 2309282View attachment 2309283View attachment 2309284View attachment 2309285View attachment 2309286View attachment 2309287
Those are nice pictures! Your chickens are lucky to have such great caretakers!
Good luck with your classes, and congratulations to your chickens for beginning to lay eggs! :woot

I have given hens to friends and then if the friend moved I got the hens back years later, they have just fallen back to when they firs knew eachother, and became good friends again.

Back
Top Bottom