will my goose be ok as im on vacation?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
im planning on having my neighbors come over to fill up the waterers and let my hens and goose into the run in the morning and put them back in the coop at night as im on vacation. so do you think my goose will be ok with a stranger coming into the coop with out me? she is a month old now and doesn't mind new people but when we leave to go on vacation she will be a adult. the neighbors will have to pick her up and put her into the run in the morning and then pick her up and put her in the coop at night so do you think she will mind?

Ask your neighbors to come over, more frequently as your departure date approaches. That way they won't be strangers to your goose once you go. Pay them generously with fresh eggs for their time & effort.

Quote:
I am a goose person but I would want cold hard cash to lift and move someone elses goose twice a day. I paid a local kid $10/day to come and feed and water and I had that rigged so he didn't have direct contack with the geese.

It can be traumatic for geese to be approached and picked up by strangers when they are young let alone when they are adults. There is no way in the world anybody could pick up my adult geese without a bit fat fight on their hands. That includes my husband who they see everyday. Your best bet is to figure out some way that they can get into their coop themselves and just leave the neighbor to changing their water and feeding them. Is there anyway you can enlarge the door for them if it turns out it is too small when they get full size?

I took care of a friends chickens and prior to her leaving I came by regularly to make friends with the flock and especially the rooster..even as far has having him sit on my lap. First day I went to lock them up and he attacked me!! So good luck with the geese!! I got the hens in but never the rooster and he was a pain the whole time.
I am considering getting a pair of geese and my husbands biggest argument is what will happen when I go on my annual visit to friends down south. Well as he already has issues with the rooster..rooster probably considers him a rival!! I hate to think about the geese!! This makes me very sad...cuz I would love a pair of geese!!! He has problems with the dogs pining for their alpha leader when I leave too. He would probably tell the geese he loved them but they wouldn't believe it and be on him!! hahahaha
Sad but true...

It can be traumatic for geese to be approached and picked up by strangers when they are young let alone when they are adults. There is no way in the world anybody could pick up my adult geese without a bit fat fight on their hands. That includes my husband who they see everyday. Your best bet is to figure out some way that they can get into their coop themselves and just leave the neighbor to changing their water and feeding them. Is there anyway you can enlarge the door for them if it turns out it is too small when they get full size?
This, 100%. You need to accustom your geese to walking into their coop for the night with as little silliness as possible ASAP and that quite possibly does mean you need to enlarge their door. I can't imagine wrassling in the dark with a full grown goose that wants to stay up past their bedtime (and trust me they do!). Calmness, kindness, practice and repetition and possibly lots of treat with will help that process.

I took care of a friends chickens and prior to her leaving I came by regularly to make friends with the flock and especially the rooster..even as far has having him sit on my lap. First day I went to lock them up and he attacked me!! So good luck with the geese!! I got the hens in but never the rooster and he was a pain the whole time.
I am considering getting a pair of geese and my husbands biggest argument is what will happen when I go on my annual visit to friends down south. Well as he already has issues with the rooster..rooster probably considers him a rival!! I hate to think about the geese!! This makes me very sad...cuz I would love a pair of geese!!! He has problems with the dogs pining for their alpha leader when I leave too. He would probably tell the geese he loved them but they wouldn't believe it and be on him!! hahahaha
Sad but true...
Because I think everyone should have geese🙂.... you could do a pair of females, unless you specifically want a breeding pair. Our girls are super friendly and we even had a city slicker friend stay with our chickens, ducks and geese and dogs for a week when we went away and everyone survived!

That is so cool about 2 females....maybe I can have geese after all as the biggest argument is caring for them if I'm not there!

Back
Top Bottom