Australorp94

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Florida
Hello everyone! I'm new to this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have some hatching eggs that I was hoping my Australorp would mother for me. I heard they make great mother hens. Unfortunately, she stopped being broody the day they arrived and I placed them in an incubator. Will she still adopt them even if she isn't broody? I should also note that she started molting...which I'm sure won't get her in a mothering mood. Is there any hope left for me? Thank you in advance for the help!

Welcome to BYC, I doubt she will take in the babies, but then again Chickens get their humor doing just the opposite of expected , I swear mine are always laughing at me. Like one that just spent 4 months broody no matter what i did couldn't break her, until put a recently hatched chick under her, she sat there warmed it up and moved over to the other laying box and finally laid her first egg in 4 months lol

Welcome to BYC, I doubt she will take in the babies, but then again Chickens get their humor doing just the opposite of expected , I swear mine are always laughing at me. Like one that just spent 4 months broody no matter what i did couldn't break her, until put a recently hatched chick under her, she sat there warmed it up and moved over to the other laying box and finally laid her first egg in 4 months lol
Thank you slordaz. I know how you feel! My hen was broody for 2 months. Couldn't break her no matter what I did. Then I tell her "you're gonna be a mom" and she stops brooding, and then to top it off she starts molting! Granted she did try to sit on a baby cardinal once when she wasn't broody so maybe she'll be happy with the new arrivals.

Last edited:

:lau

I would agree it's not very likely that she would accept them. But like @slordaz said, chickens can surprise you. This past spring when I moved my first batch of 5 week old chicks out to the coop, my cuckoo marans hen totally adopted them. She acted as if she had hatched them herself. She protected them and did everything a good mama hen does. :)
She's never ever been broody, so it was really kinda cool to see her be a mama :)
So, who knows... maybe. :D

Back
Top Bottom