Will my pullet mourn?

The two remaining are both Sapphire Gems.
It was very quiet after the 2 cockerels were rehomed.
I know my main pullet that was pretty bonded with one kinda hid away the rest of the day. They all got in the coop earlier then usual also.
however some of my younger pullets enjoyed having a new place to perch next to the older ones since the cockrel wasn’t taking up that space.
I lost my 7 year old alpha hen this year. Her sister is also 7. And I was worried about her going down hill and losing her as well. Her sister took the role of alpha and has kept order in the coop. She didn’t seen any different. As well as my 6 year old silkie. What I’m trying to say, is the flock will adjust and be alright with the change and shouldn’t have any hurt feelings about some going missing. The only time to worry about morning or feelings I believe is if someone has a very small flock, that can cause vulnerability.

Keep the rooster of your choosing, I wish I knew more on that particular breed/kind. Unfortunately I’ve never own a sapphire gem and I have a lot of chickens lol. Any rooster you decide to keep, must have good manners. Do not baby the rooster, just teach it to respect your space and make sure it doesn’t seem provoked when you pick up your hens. You want to be able to handle your hens, with the rooster you keep. You do not need to handle him though :) he just needs to keep his distance and be kind.

Hey y’all,

I have 1-2 Pullets that our main cockrel always courts around the yard, dances for and happily mates with them with their approval.
They even roost together at night.
Unfortunately this cockrel has become over confident in his roll and decided to attempt to flog my daughter twice.
He has successfully flogged her once where he knocked her down completely and was on top of her til I punted him. (Not really that crazy I didn’t kick him hard)
I wrote it off to her hovering near the food dish and the other males stressing the females trying to mate them and he took it out on the closest thing - her.
This isn’t the first cockrel to attack her and 2 have met the chopping block for outright chasing her down and attacking her.
I hear good cockerels know not to attack humans even if they are small.
During his attempt today she wasn’t near the hens or chicks. She was standing with me while we watched them eat from afar and he started creeping our way slowly side stepping towards us and “eating”.
She turned around to say something to me and he ran up and jumped at her but my foot stopped him from making it to her. Then he tried again.
He had always been so good but is becoming over confident in his role so we’ve found someone to rehome him to.
However I’m worried due to his close bond with the ladies that they will mourn his “loss”.
I don’t want to make this hard on my flock but I can’t have a chicken attack my daughter either.

I don’t want to believe I could “correct” this behavior because my daughter is only 2 and there is no way she’s capable of correcting him herself.
Your hens will be fine....your daughter is the precious one to be protected❤️

Why bother with that? He could just be dinner.

Side: How many cockerels do you have (left)?
We don’t like the culling process.
Especially when they have done no wrong to us.
My husband is tired of killing.
last one that was culled happened in front of my daughter since he attacked her my husband had a stick in his hand and hit the chicken so hard it knocked him out then he hit him a few more times then chopped the head off. She was mortified. She’s almost 2.
We have no way to cull without her present and she loves all animals even if they hurt her.
we now have 2 left.

last one that was culled happened in front of my daughter since he attacked her my husband had a stick in his hand and hit the chicken so hard it knocked him out then he hit him a few more times then chopped the head off. She was mortified. She’s almost 2.
We have no way to cull without her present and she loves all animals even if they hurt her.
we now have 2 left.
I can see that as traumatic. Maybe nap time? As long as you fully disclose with rehoming. Not everyone faces the same threat level from an aggressive roo.

Hey y’all,

I have 1-2 Pullets that our main cockrel always courts around the yard, dances for and happily mates with them with their approval.
They even roost together at night.
Unfortunately this cockrel has become over confident in his roll and decided to attempt to flog my daughter twice.
He has successfully flogged her once where he knocked her down completely and was on top of her til I punted him. (Not really that crazy I didn’t kick him hard)
I wrote it off to her hovering near the food dish and the other males stressing the females trying to mate them and he took it out on the closest thing - her.
This isn’t the first cockrel to attack her and 2 have met the chopping block for outright chasing her down and attacking her.
I hear good cockerels know not to attack humans even if they are small.
During his attempt today she wasn’t near the hens or chicks. She was standing with me while we watched them eat from afar and he started creeping our way slowly side stepping towards us and “eating”.
She turned around to say something to me and he ran up and jumped at her but my foot stopped him from making it to her. Then he tried again.
He had always been so good but is becoming over confident in his role so we’ve found someone to rehome him to.
However I’m worried due to his close bond with the ladies that they will mourn his “loss”.
I don’t want to make this hard on my flock but I can’t have a chicken attack my daughter either.

I don’t want to believe I could “correct” this behavior because my daughter is only 2 and there is no way she’s capable of correcting him herself.
I have 8 hens and a miniature rooster (Belgium mille le fleur-d'uucle, I think) he often runs up behind and tries to attack me. He doesn't really hurt me. So I looked up on utube to pick him up n put his beak in the dirt , n also show attention scratch his neck, I've done this several times . Now I think he goes for me to have his neck scratched!🤪

I have 8 hens and a miniature rooster (Belgium mille le fleur-d'uucle, I think) he often runs up behind and tries to attack me. He doesn't really hurt me. So I looked up on utube to pick him up n put his beak in the dirt , n also show attention scratch his neck, I've done this several times . Now I think he goes for me to have his neck scratched!🤪
Well the thing is I could do that but it wouldn’t benefit my daughter because if I put dominance over him my daughter is still below him in his eyes.
Plus as you stated it seems to be solidifying the behavior as okay. And it’s not. They can do serious damage especially to small children.

The girls seem to be doing okay.
More skittish then before but the cockerel who took over seems to be caring for them.
Leads them to new places the previous cockrel never did. 🤷🏼‍♀️
One cockerel sleeps on each side of the coop below the ladies

we now have 2 left.
If there are two of you, could not one parent cull while the other has your child elsewhere?
Also, I have to think it would not be the removing the head, or the initial whack with a stick to stop the attack.
What *is* disturbing about your telling is saying your husband repeatedly hit a bird you say was knocked out with the first blow.
Was hitting an unconscious bird necessary? If this is what happened it almost sounds to me like a loss of control, and I too would be disturbed, mortified, and possibly intimidated by such behaviour from a grown person.

Perhaps this happened differently than you explained? Or you could add some of his thought process? People can panic, and we hope if that's what happened it's something we would try to learn from so it doesn't happen again.

Back
Top Bottom