Will my quail survive? Any ideas?

I'm so sorry about your girl. I don't know what the problem may be but can share my recent experience. A few months ago, I found one of my boys feeling very poorly in the morning. I took him inside, and within an hour or two he could no longer walk or stand. When he tried, he flopped around pathetically and got stuck on his back. It was really hard to watch. I suspected a serious head injury so kept him in a covered cage with a heater. A day or two later, I could tell he hadn't been eating or drinking, so I started feeding him with a syringe. I'm glad to hear your girl is eating and drinking on her own, so I won't go into more detail but can share if it becomes necessary. I spoke with an avian vet online who recommended one drop of children's Motrin (liquid aspirin) twice a day to help with his pain and any body inflammation, but she noted that it would not reduce brain swelling. For a while it was very bad, he couldn't hold his head up and would sometimes get stuck in a twisted position. I think one side of his body was more seriously affected, like someone who had a brain stroke. After about 3-4 weeks, he recovered enough to start getting his legs under him. (At that point he developed a respiratory infection, which is a whole other story). Today he is back on his feet. Long story short, it took a lot of time and patience and often felt hopeless, but he did pull through. Best wishes to you and your girl.

How long has she been like this? When was the last time she laid an egg? Sometimes a large egg can impinge upon nerves in the pelvic area and cause hind limb lack of feeling or paralysis. Also, do you have any other types of poultry on the property?

The Video was 1hr after I found her that morning. She had been fine the evening before.
The next day she could stand but not walk. Very slight improvements. She has stopped blinking and seems very alert. Drinking eating fine.

I have a few pekins - but she has never come into contact with them. The past two weeks she has been out of the large enclosure and in a hutch for breeding. Hutch is brand new.

The only quail I put in with the chickens is the grow-out males. They don't fight in such a large area and I cannot put them in the main quail one. These go straight from this pen to be butchered by a friend. Never had a problem doing this in 2 yrs - it started by accident.

She laid an egg first day but none since.

I'm so sorry about your girl. I don't know what the problem may be but can share my recent experience. A few months ago, I found one of my boys feeling very poorly in the morning. I took him inside, and within an hour or two he could no longer walk or stand. When he tried, he flopped around pathetically and got stuck on his back. It was really hard to watch. I suspected a serious head injury so kept him in a covered cage with a heater. A day or two later, I could tell he hadn't been eating or drinking, so I started feeding him with a syringe. I'm glad to hear your girl is eating and drinking on her own, so I won't go into more detail but can share if it becomes necessary. I spoke with an avian vet online who recommended one drop of children's Motrin (liquid aspirin) twice a day to help with his pain and any body inflammation, but she noted that it would not reduce brain swelling. For a while it was very bad, he couldn't hold his head up and would sometimes get stuck in a twisted position. I think one side of his body was more seriously affected, like someone who had a brain stroke. After about 3-4 weeks, he recovered enough to start getting his legs under him. (At that point he developed a respiratory infection, which is a whole other story). Today he is back on his feet. Long story short, it took a lot of time and patience and often felt hopeless, but he did pull through. Best wishes to you and your girl.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have seen slight improvements and your story gives me hope. She is very time-consuming. She can eat and drink on her own - but needs me to prop and bring it to her in a bowl.

Back
Top Bottom