Will Power??? What's That???? Incubating coming to an end...... HELP!!

SGM

Songster
11 Years
Aug 18, 2008
Easley, SC
I have decided (or rather, I'm trying to convince myself) that after my Cochin eggs, currently in the incubator and due Nov 3-4 are done. I should pack up the bator till next spring. So what I need help with is will power and motivation to keep it put away. I'm already thinking of exemptions.... like if my Silver Sebright starts laying or Cochins in the early part of the year. How am I going to prevent myself from hatching more!!! I can't keep anymore in the house. That's a given. We have 2 brooders going now and they smell at the drop of a hat. I keep them clean of course, but its obvious we're going to have a stink and feather dust EVERYWHERE if they're in the house. I just don't want more in the house. So these will be old enough to move out when the Cochins are due to hatch. So I'm already looking at many more weeks of brooders in the house.

How do you do it? How do you decide when to put the bator and how do you follow through with not pulling it out to hatch more?????????

I haven't decided to put mine away yet (although I keep trying), so I can't help you! Let me know if you figure it out!
lol.png

See I now that's what I'm going to be doing. I know as soon as I clean it out and put it away in its box and up on a shelf. Sure fire, a new layer will start up and I'll be so excited. Granted I'll have to wait on her pullet eggs to pass and good eggs to start, but that won't be too long! Then what????
barnie.gif

I gave up putting away mine. I said to myself "forget. its just staying on the bookshelf" And now all I have to do is add eggs. Whats the point of wasting energy to take it back out and redo everything.

Will power???? Never heard of it! lol
Can't help ya, I think my bator runs all year round! And now with super huge bator I got I think I'm in real trouble!
We should start a support group. Hatch-A-Holics Annonymous.

Quote:
To late. I started that in 06 when I knew I had problems. Ever heard of crack addict? I am a hatch addict and cant stop. I have to go back to group therapy.

You could always have someone in your area hatch them for you, or get test hatchers, and get eggs back from them once the chicks start laying.

As far as how to not get it out, I still haven't put mine away. It doesn't look like I ever will! But my chicks are on the porch in a wood box with 2 lights, so I don't have to worry about the dust.

It sounds to me that the problem is not so much that you hatch too many chicks, but that you keep them in the house. I solved that problem by building a brooder in my carport. It is heavy wood and weatherproof and I've even kept chicks in it in the winter by putting in a stronger light bulb. So think about brooders in you garage or shed or whatever. This way you can hatch all you want without the problems of having chicks in the house.
big_smile.png

I think you have come to the wrong place if you are looking for support to actually put the bator away.
lau.gif

Not be hatching something?

Like nothing, at all? I'm not clear on how that would happen. You'd have to stop getting eggs, not go to eggbid or ebay or ovabid, or the hatching eggs thread, people would have to stop sending eggs, bringing eggs, offering eggs...

I'm no longer physically capable of pulling away from the vast gravitational pull of eggs that need hatching. I may be doomed. But I will croak with a smile on my face.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom