Will pullets start laying or is it late in the season

Ok,but, I read for our breed, it takes 6 mths..we are super busy building our 3rd barn for our rabbits,ducks,pot belly pigs and goats....just got electric and water yesterday..so..will they lay without nesting boxes, or do I need to tell Chris to stop what he’s doing to make nesting boxes for two hens?
There's really no set time when they'll start laying. My first batch of LF breeds (buff orp, barred rock and EE) all started laying at about 4 months. I was diligent in closing the boxes at night so nobody slept and pooped in there, but removed the blockade after bedtime so they were open first thing in the morning -just in case. I caught them quite frequently visiting the boxes during the day and rearranging the fluff and fake eggs... instincts were telling them something about this was important.

You don't need to stop everything and build the complete nest boxes, you can use temporary substitutes, like 5 gallon buckets or plastic totes on their side, milk crates, wood crates, large baskets, a covered cat litter box etc. Just set them on the ground where you plan to build the final ones, and fill with excelsior nesting pads or a thick layer of hay or straw with some fake eggs or golf balls to encourage them. Some people keep a variety of different style boxes at different heights because not all birds prefer the same kind.

If you don't have nest boxes available, they will find somewhere else to lay when they're ready and you might not get them to actually use the boxes later on. If they free range, you might not even find the eggs.

First year pullets for some reason, aren't really as sensitive to the days shortening as hens past their 1st or 2nd winter. Yours could start laying anytime, there's no rule when they start, it's apparently only when they feel like it. My pullets from last year (May hatch) didn't start laying until December and January but the last one held out until March. (she was 10 months old!)

If you plan to keep your cockerel, it would be best to skip layer feed entirely and go with Flock Raiser or All Flock instead. It's a complete feed appropriate for mixed genders and ages. Just be sure to offer oyster shell in a separate container for the girls... layers need a surprising amount of calcium to produce an egg.
Thank you, the All Flock feed sounds good with oyster shells on the side

I'd leave them on the grower, but put out some OS in a separate container.
Keep the BOSS to a minimum, fatty they don't need.
They may lay yet this year, or not until near or after solstice.

I've got 21wo's that look ready to lay but pelvis bones are still tight.

30 birds is a lot!
How big is coop and run, in feet by feet?
Do you free range at all?
The coop is 12' X 14' and the coop is raised 3' is used as an additional to the run, which is 12' X 40' that's 648 sq ft of run. Not able to free range to many predators (raccoons, possums that come out in the day as well as the night, then we have owls, hawks, and red foxes).
What is BOSS?

I think at least a few of your pullets might start laying before the spring. I just started my flock in May. I didn't want to be disappointed, so I decided not to expect any eggs until the days started getting longer. However, at least 2 of my 13 pullets started laying Oct 22nd. Since then I think at least one more has started laying. We've collected 10 eggs in 5 days. It is so much fun to find them! I figure any eggs I get between now and spring is an unexpected bonus. Good luck, and be sure to let us know when they start laying. :)

Last edited:
Great news!!!! Just this morning I went out to see my girls (and little roo and Guinea fowl) and I found a wee egglet in one of the nesting boxes! The first egg has been laid (probably by one of the Rhode Island Reds) and on Samhain, too! :wee
41B8CE0A-B04E-4A60-B50E-4C53FABE54FF.JPG

0A0A50F7-64D3-4237-BB1D-0F0099C212EB.JPG

Attachments

• 61AF86EA-1C68-4B34-9229-9A8012BB9884.JPG
    61AF86EA-1C68-4B34-9229-9A8012BB9884.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom