Will putting lime on my yard hurt my chickens?

hendrickshens

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
I want to lime my yard this spring, but I free range my chickens. Will too much lime hurt them? Would pelletized or powdered work better?

We use lime all the time on our yards, fields and gardens. Yes, the chickens will find it and eat it. I highly suggest you allow a soaking rain to wash it in before ranging your birds on it.

Ag lime is Calcium Carbonate

Oyster shell is Calcium Carbonate

FEED GRADE limestone is Calcium Carbonate.

Spread it on your lawn and don't worry about it at all​

Quote:
I would advise a soil test before you add anything to your yard. Contact your county Extension office and get a soil test kit. The sample will be scientifically analyzed and recommendations will be made if ammendments are required, including the amounts/ratios that you need.

I'm a newbie here on the forum but I am an Advanced Master Gardener and have a M.S. in Ecology, so I know a little bit about "dirt".
wink.png

Apparently I'm missing something here. Why does everyone use lime if not for ammending the soil?

For lawns and gardens it's for raising the PH

For coops and runs, it absorbs moisture and controls odors​

I would use pelletized; I use it in my coop on the litter. The powdered can be irritating and I'm afraid they would breathe in too much dust or it would hurt their feet. Might not do any harm if it was well watered in or put down before a good rain, though.

Hydrated lime does burn their feet. I have used it in my runs and keep the chickens off of it for 2 weeks til it's tilled in and watered down good.

Garden lime I have also used in the garden, yard and run it's way milder. It just takes acouple days and needs watered or rained on before they go back on it.

Quote:
Ag lime is Calcium Carbonate

Oyster shell is Calcium Carbonate

FEED GRADE limestone is Calcium Carbonate.

Spread it on your lawn and don't worry about it at all

National Lime Association
http://www.lime.org/lime_basics/faq.asp

Q: Is aglime the same as lime?
A: The term agricultural lime, or "aglime," usually refers to crushed limestone. Limestone (calcium carbonate) is not the same as hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide).

There is also dolomitic hydrated lime, which is what we use.

Know what you are doing and which you are applying. As Bear Foot Farm says, Calcium Carbonate has little concern.

Back
Top Bottom