Will Saxony drake cross Aylesbury make a good meat bird?

Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone has ever crossed saxony with Aylsbury and how did the results turn out?

Iv been advised that they will make good layer/meat ducks but Iv not done it so I am just looking for a few more opinions.

TIA
:welcome not many of us use our ducks for meat so you'll probably not get many answers on the ducks forum. But there is a meat bird forum on here where you might get some replies. Here they are mainly pets with a side of eggs as a bonus.

I haven't had either of those duck breeds but considering the fact that they're both classified as heavy breeds I would think they would be reasonable for a meat bird.
I raised Perkins for meat, which is pretty typical for most people that eat ducks.

I haven't had either of those duck breeds but considering the fact that they're both classified as heavy breeds I would think they would be reasonable for a meat bird.
I raised Perkins for meat, which is pretty typical for most people that eat ducks.
Hi thanks for your response, I did read that too, but was unsure whether it would be close enough to usual meat, colour, texture, flavour etc. It’s difficult to find Pekins here but a duck friend of mine said that he has those available and it should be a good dual purpose cross.

Honestly, any duck breed can be used for meat although some you'll get less off of than others (bantam, for example, lol! but also others like Magpie). The heavier breeds will, for the most part, be better for this. It also depends on when you plan to process, as some take a longer time to mature, for example the Cayuga.

I don't have any experience with the breeds you intend to get, a lot of mine are mutts. I'll be going by general size to decide who I'll be breeding in the Spring. Plus my egg layers, which are lighter breeds.

Back
Top Bottom