Will she lay soon?

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
Hey y’all, I have a 23 week old hen, believed to be a poorly bred barred rock. I had seen somewhere that when you put your hand over a hen and they squat they’re either laying or going to start laying, so far this analogy was correct with my other hens. She squats but she has yet to produce an egg. I checked her vent and i believe it’s in the stage of laying, it’s pink. Is this normal? Will she lay soon?

Hey y’all, I have a 23 week old hen, believed to be a poorly bred barred rock. I had seen somewhere that when you put your hand over a hen and they squat they’re either laying or going to start laying, so far this analogy was correct with my other hens. She squats but she has yet to produce an egg. I checked her vent and i believe it’s in the stage of laying, it’s pink. Is this normal? Will she lay soon?
Update she finally laid!!

Attachments

• D554D37E-B503-4C01-94A7-5A5ABCC89A90.jpeg
    D554D37E-B503-4C01-94A7-5A5ABCC89A90.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 11
It's funny. We have fallen in love with Betsy, Bossy and Bitsy since we became chicken owners...we don't care if they ever lay. But we do hate to get pecked, I call it pinched. How do you deal with that?
Gloves and high shanked boots. Or, you peck them back by jabbing them on the back/back of neck with your fingers to tell them to "knock it off" the way another chicken would.

It's funny. We have fallen in love with Betsy, Bossy and Bitsy since we became chicken owners...we don't care if they ever lay. But we do hate to get pecked, I call it pinched. How do you deal with that?

Try posting a tread under ‘chicken behaviors and egg laying’ with your question so you get more replies!

Back
Top Bottom