Will silkie rooster protect larger breed hens?

chickieeb

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2016
Will silkie rooster protect larger breed hens? I have a mixed flock and someone wants to give me one of their silkie roosters. Will he do the job?

:welcome

If by "protect" you mean either run in the opposite direction while sounding the alarm or getting eaten while standing up to a predator, it's possible. The reality is, that's the most protection roosters generally have to offer. A dominant hen will do the same thing. I am aware that some breeds are big enough and feisty enough to actually take on some predators and win. Silkies aren't among them. If that's the only reason you would consider getting him, I would suggest passing on him.

Do you have other Silkies?

Sometimes Hens of another feather will not except Silkies due to the feather difference...

I would pass on the Rooster......

Cheers!

Yes i have 2 other silkies and 6 standard chickens and they get along fine. My buff orp rooster got taken out by a hunting dog that came in our yard, which is why a friend of mine is wanting to give me this silkie rooster

Roosters are a good early warning system, and will often end up being the first bird taken by a predator due to being the last to get to cover, but they aren't really 'protection.' Better to work on securing your yard, rather than relying on a rooster.

Some roosters ARE effective against a limited range of predators. ROOSTERS DO NOT PROTECT THE HENS, RATHER THEY PROTECT THEIR OFFSPRING. Silkies of any size or color are not among those and should always be provided the most vested protection of all, even from the elements.

Wow.......
bow.gif

My silkie rooster does a great job protecting his flock. He is constantly on the lookout and very aware of where his hens are. It has been my experience that they will be protective in a mixed flock as well. As long as he is the top rooster, he will protect his flock even if he is a silkie.

In my opinion, there is a difference between protecting and warning. In my way of thinking, a rooster that is protecting his flock will fight off a predator or die trying (which is how those situations usually end). Keeping an eye on the sky and being alert for predators is a warning. A dominant hen will do the same. Sure, that warning system can be helpful to get the hens moving away from danger, but what I was trying to day and Junebuggena said so much better is, it's better not to rely on just a rooster to protect your birds. Better to beef up your security instead.

Back
Top Bottom