Will silkies use a ramp

greenSearcher

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Texoma
I am building coops for my new birds, and I have 4 black silkies. So far my coops are elevated, with the entrance inside a closed run for extra protection. So far this has worked for LF well, only one loss to predators while foraging this year.

I have read that silkies don't like ramps and won't use them. I was thinking the coop with the silkies would have a 12" wide ramp and I would use the safety strips used on stairs to provide traction. I could also put guard rails about 4" along the side. I hope that would make them feel safe using the ramp. Inside the coop I Will have a Banty room immediately to the right of the pop door that will have arched entries about 8" high. The room would be the same size as the next box unit, 45" x15"" with the exterior wall that flips down to allow cleaning and egg and broody care. I was thinking I could house them with either the EE's or NNs since both are fairly calm. The NN are down right mellow, even as adolescents they will let me hold and pet them.

I have two silkies in with the rest of my juvenile flock, including naked necks and cornish Xs, others. My silkies won't use a ramp. Steps made out of small blocks, set on top of each other, up to the height of the pop door they will do. Each step is roughly 4 to 5" high.

By the way, my silkies also free range with their flock.

Last edited:
I have three different ramps for different entrances and my silkies use all of them. They are a little afraid of them but they do use them. If they have trimmed crest they may have an easier time walking up and down the ramp.

My silkies live with my other chickens. They use the ramps, there are 3 ramps.

No problem with ramps here... adults and babies will all use them. I started with small strips of wood over a plank as steps and have now gone to covering planks with hardware cloth - the smaller birds can get better traction on it. Also take in to consideration the angle of the ramp; if it's too steep and they can slip they won't use it. The hardware cloth solved that issue here.

I only have one elevated coop and my silkies refused to use a ramp. I finally had to take it down and used cinder blocks to create steps for them. They had no problem with the steps.

Hmmm Interesting... I had never read that silkies wouldn't use a ramp, therefore my silkies never got the memo. up and down all day long.

Back
Top Bottom