Will Single Hen Accept New Chicks?

bluedayze

Chirping
Sep 13, 2020
St. Louis, MO
We had an attack that left us with one hen, Peaches, our Buff Orp. She is so sweet, and honestly a favorite of the family. We have since acquired 7 chicks (1-2 weeks old). Is there any chance she would accept them without being broody? If not, how long should I wait to introduce? I hate that she is all alone now (she was low on the pecking order), and I don't want her social life to suffer. Any advice? (It's 88/65 °F right now)

We had an attack that left us with one hen, Peaches, our Buff Orp. She is so sweet, and honestly a favorite of the family. We have since acquired 7 chicks (1-2 weeks old). Is there any chance she would accept them without being broody? If not, how long should I wait to introduce? I hate that she is all alone now (she was low on the pecking order), and I don't want her social life to suffer. Any advice? (It's 88/65 °F right now)

I would suggest a divided pen, with the chicks and hen able to interact through wire mesh. After a few days, make chick-sized openings in the divider, and watch what happens. That will let the chicks go into her space if they want, but the chicks can still run back to their space if the hen is mean.

Some hens do not mind having chicks running around, some hens act motherly, and some hens act aggressive or vicious toward the chicks. You will not know how your hen acts until you give her a chance and see.

Depending on how cool it gets at night, you might need to provide a heat plate or something similar in one corner of the chick section, so they can sleep warm. But with those daytime temperatures, be careful that you don't get their entire area too warm during the day.

I would suggest a divided pen, with the chicks and hen able to interact through wire mesh. After a few days, make chick-sized openings in the divider, and watch what happens. That will let the chicks go into her space if they want, but the chicks can still run back to their space if the hen is mean.

Some hens do not mind having chicks running around, some hens act motherly, and some hens act aggressive or vicious toward the chicks. You will not know how your hen acts until you give her a chance and see.

Depending on how cool it gets at night, you might need to provide a heat plate or something similar in one corner of the chick section, so they can sleep warm. But with those daytime temperatures, be careful that you don't get their entire area too warm during the day.
Heated cat bed?

Heated cat bed?

Chicks usually like to go under a warm thing, not sit on top of it. (Because they would naturally go under a mother hen.)

So I do not know whether that would work or not. It might.

Chicks also poop a lot when they sleep, so a soft and fuzzy cat bed would turn into a filthy cat bed quite quickly. Brooder plates meant for chicks are usually smooth, so they are a bit easier to clean, and having the plate above the chicks means it does not get nearly as much poop on it.

I would probaby not buy a heated cat bed to use for chicks, but I might try one if it was sitting around unused anyway.

Back
Top Bottom