Will Smaller size egg hatch??

Maggie1030

Chirping
Jan 4, 2018
New Jersey
Hi I have 1 Silkie Egg in the incubator on day 17 that is very Small compared to my other eggs. I candled the egg and it is all completely dark at this point, really do not see the air cell at all. Will
this tiny egg hatch or will there be complications from being in such a tiny egg?

Tiny eggs do hatch. If you're at day 17 you may as well go all the way. Don't give up on day 21 if it doesn't hatch on time, give it a few extra days and see what happens. You never know about complications in any egg/chick, small or not.

Is it a pullet egg? Or is it a full sized egg for that particular bird? Hatching pullet eggs puts the embryo at a disadvantage. While it can be done, it's not the wisest choice. It's better to do everything in your power to see to it that the life you are fostering gets off to it's best start. That includes conditioning the breeders before collecting eggs, not setting little pullet eggs, and knowing how to manage your incubator temp and humidity with calibrated equipment.

That being said, sometimes there are extenuating circumstances for setting a smaller egg: if it's a last opportunity to capture favored genetic material from a favored bird in your flock.

Is this the only egg you're trying to hatch? If there are more , you have a tool for comparison.
Air hole sizes now and pipping when it starts in a batch all at the same day of incubation in the same conditions, temp, moisture, air and all.
If there is not another egg you may need to be vigilant for signs of pipping to take measures if necessary due to the smaller egg and air hole.

Back
Top Bottom