Will the flock control their own rate of feed or over eat?

fordguy

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 6, 2007
I am experimenting with a 4 inch pipe about 6 feet tall with a U on the bottom and a cap on the top. It holds 25 pounds of feed. Right now the birds are going nuts over it and eating a lot - I am wondering if this will be a good solution for a 2 or 3 day trip away from home or will the birds just eat and eat and eat till it's gone in a day or so then be hungry for a couple days? Thanks.

(the alternative was a electronic game feeder but those are like a hundred bucks!)

Whenever we leave for a few days, I fill the feeder full and if they eat it all then I guess they've had enough to keep them going for a few days. On a regular day it would take them 3-4 days to eat all of it. But mine also free range and if they are locked up then they will probably eat more.

A full grown bird (average size) needs about 4 oz of good quality feed a day (at most).

If you are going off, I would suggest trainning a friend to look in after them.

A good alternative to free access as you are writing about would be to cut up a rather large pumpkin and put it in with them to snack on between feedings.

Whether it will last for the duration of your trip or not might depend on the number of birds you have. My birds have access to their food at all times and don't eat it all until it's gone (well... eventually they do) . I would certainly test the feeder out prior to leaving (put 25lbs of feed and watch for 3 days).

I pretty much know from experience how much food gets eaten in a day and I suspect you do too. When we go away for 2 or 3 days I'll make sure there is 3 or 4 times that amount in the feeder. I've yet to come home and find it bare. If you're really concerned, put a feeding block in the coop for them. BTW, I worry more about water than food when we go away--I figure they can scratch around in the litter and find enough to keep them fed if they run out of food but water is more essential.

Back
Top Bottom