will the mystery rooster please stand up?

MrsMellyB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013

He's young, I'm guessing all these roos are around 6-7 mos old and are supposed to have come from Cackle hatchery in Lebanon Mo. NOt one tiny clue what this guy is... someone?? Anyone?

Thanks guys... I would have never guessed him for that... he totally doesn't look like all the PICS of silver laces I had looked at.
Early this spring I bought 6 chicks (two weeks old) from the farm store in town. 2 were supposed to be SLW's.... and pullets.... My two beautiful Australorp roos are gorgeous, but even FURTHER from the pics of what silver laces look like.....
Lesson learned... don't trust chick labels, and don't trust a stock girl to pick you out pullets with her granny's tried and true method.. (she was 4 for 4 ROO's).

Oh dear...im guessin granny didnt get many eggs then... Sometimes the farm store chicks are hatchery leftovers, so not always the best example of the breed. Still good birds though!! Most of ours arent show quality but we love em!

I did see a couple that have the long silvery neck ruff, rather than the standard lacey ruff...

I did see a couple that have the long silvery neck ruff, rather than the standard lacey ruff...

He may change some after his first molt. You cant always trust how they will look until after that. How is his attitude? My gold lacers were mean...we just butchered them Saturday. But our blue lace red Wyandotte is a big goof so he gets to be the main man now!

Back
Top Bottom