Will their chicks be sexlinked? Will they be sexlinked by skin color?

It's worth noting that dominant white often fades the skin color especially right at hatch, so give them a couple weeks if it looks like you have all males based on their skin color at hatch.

These are two skin color sexlinks I hatched out of a dominant white Silkie male crossed to a Cochin bantam female. You can see there's a tinge of color to the skin on the female (purple leg band), but it was not very apparent in person and I didn't realize she was a pullet until much later.

View attachment 3412681View attachment 3412682

A few weeks later, the skin color difference was more apparent (but they were also quite fluffy, so their feet don't show much in their pictures, sorry about that!) :

View attachment 3412692View attachment 3412690
Did the male feather before the female? I am told that slow feathering will dominate over fast feathering, but all three my male cochin pullet/silkie roo mixes feathered earlier than the female mixes. The two female mixes also ended up with darker shanks and eyes.

Attachments

• Cockrel2.jpg
    Cockrel2.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Cockrel3.jpg
    Cockrel3.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 3
  • Sweet & Peep.jpg
    Sweet & Peep.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Sweet.jpg
    Sweet.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 3
How fast they feather depends on the genetics of their parents and what specific genes they inherited. All of mine feathered at the same rate because all inherited fast feathering from their parents. Since neither parent was slow to feather, neither could pass on the gene to slow feathering speed in their offspring. I do believe that slow feathering is sexlinked dominant over fast feathering, but that also means that a slow-feathering male could be carrying the gene for fast feathering and pass that to any of his offspring as well. More than likely it's just coincidental that only the females inherited it in your case. 🙂 The darker shanks on females is to be expected in that cross.

Back
Top Bottom