will this rooster get past the teenage hormone craze?

maurerwerks

Songster
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Sunapee
My rooster, Cyril, wore the feathers off the backs of all my eleven hens this past summer (they all turned one year old in June). I was trying to find a new home for him, but then I noticed last week that most of my girls are going through a slow moult and are growing feathers back on their backs. Should I give Cyril a reprieve and keep him, or will he just wear off the back feathers again? I don't want my girls to freeze this winter in New Hampshire. Thanks.
hu.gif

I would give him a reprieve. Mating seems to slow down a bit in the winter- energy conservation- but see how it goes this spring when things pick up again;)

If your hen's are Hatchery sourced they will have poor feather quality anyway and it may not be the roo's fault.

Thanks for the responses - my girls do have aprons on (dirty little aprons - time for a wash). I've always wondered what hatchery sourced meant. Mine came from My Pet Chicken, so I imagine from a hatchery, but their feathers seem nice (other than the ones that are missing), and they've been good layers and healthy little girls. Thanks again.
smile.png

Quote:
Yes MPC is a full fledge mutt peddler as are the others no worries though............. their feathers allways look good while growing but are allways very weak in structure and strength, and will hardly ever survive the rigors of even a moderate rooster. Yes of course they are good layers as that is the only thing that is an assured fact with hatchery stock, as long as you like them it's all good just don't look for them to be the perfect chicken by far.

Thanks for the hatchery clarification. If someone wants chickens with stronger feathers and all, where does one get these chickens? Sorry to sound dumb, but I'm just wondering.

I got all my chickens from the local feed store, and when our roo Owl (GLW) started his "man thing" with the first hen, I watched closely to make sure she did not get bald patches.

I have 14 hens, by mid Aug. he was only mounting 2 for about a month. No bald spots on their backs or the back of their heads, and he sure did grab them good back there. Now 6 of my girls (3 BR & 3 BO) are available for his "Man Dance". We check the girls all the time, and other than a few of the downy under-feathers that pop out from time to time, they are fine.

Don't know if my girls are from a heartier stock of hatchery chicks, and Owl is good about sharing the love, since I will hear the girls fussin at him during the day.
lau.gif
Maybe he is just not as aggressive as some roo's can be. And he is twice the size of 2 of my BR.

Just glad he is sharing the love now with the other girls, and I know my 3 BR are glad too.
gig.gif

It wouldn't surprise me if some hatcheries have better stock than others. I'm guessing that with the explosion in MPC sales and local ordinances, Meyer is now breeding for sheer quantity of laying hens.

Quote:
They do that regardless, laying hen's are the profit margin. more hens bred for more egg production= more eggs to hatch better egg producing hen's. easy peezy.

Back
Top Bottom