Will this work?!

MommaHen86

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Michigan
M husband wants to buythis chicken coop that this guy builds to sell. He says that this coop will hold 12-15 chickens. What do you guys think? We plan on making a HUGE run for them since we have the land and all. But I am unsure of the coop. What mods would you make to it? I was thinking that if I was to buy this coop which cost 385.00 plus delivery I would add laminate to the floor, add a large window on the end of it and add a few roosts on the other side plus chains to hang the feed and waterer from the ceiling. Oh and add a drop pan under it the roost.Whatcha think?lol.I want as an honest answer as possible.lol.

55466_chcoopgr.jpg

55466_chcoopgr1.jpg

55466_chcoopgr2.jpg

I don't know the dimensions but it looks big enough and I think the price is good too. Maybe you could ask him just to build it with the window you want too???

Looks awesome for just $385! Might need window, more ventilation? You could do prop-up window/vents in a row all along that back wall.
You could paint it pretty colors, too. Or paint the inside. Make it easier to clean and lighter. (as in more light) I know the general rule is 1 chicken per 4 square feet of floor space. So, if that's 4x8, which it kind of looks like, you could get around 8 chickens, give or take (I'm guessing give
wink.png
). You've got enough nest boxes for an army, though! (1 box/every 3-4 chickens) You could convert one or two of them to use for food storage, etc.

Good luck with that!

Oh yeah-just remembered-you might need to think about roosts, too. Don't know how that's going to work.

Last edited:
By "holds" 12-15 chickens, they mean "you can physically put that many in there".

They ain't gonna be happy about it, though, if they are in there for ANY THING WHATSOEVER besides being asleep and being laying an egg.

If you live in, like, Maui, and there is never a day when your chickens will not feel like going outside, then sure.

Most places, though, that's not the case, and you end up with crowded grouchy chickens and a significant risk that they will decide to disassemble each other in bloody ways.

Also, even just for nighttime use, those coops are almost always built with WAY insufficient ventilation for use in cold weather. Good luck with it in a Michigan winter. It is the big kick-me sign for frostbite.

I would personally avoid coops of that general design like the plague.

You can use it, and especially if you only put half a dozen or so chickens in there they will likely be ok at least until January rolls around, but personally I do not think it is a good coop design nor the most sensible use of money.

Sorry to be a downer, good luck, have fun,

Pat

That's a pretty nice coop for $385 -- I can tell from the inside shots that he used actual plywood and not press-board. As suggested you can paint the inside to make it easier to clean. Adding windows and vents would be a must... but also I notice you are in Michigan... Probably it's the "Mommy" in me, but I would want it insulated. I am going to go out on a make-believe-limb here and say it will cost about $100 to insulate it. Is it still worth it to you. (It would be worth it to me, but if I were you I'd mention the probable cost of insulation it to your husband.)

You might even ask the build how much more it would cost if he built one with insulation.

Also -- regarding the egg door -- does the roof overhang the opening, or does the opening stick out a bit from the roof edge. The reason I ask is because they could be a significant leak point when it rains. Hens just don't appreciate treading water whilst laying an egg.

Jenny

Last edited:
Hey Pat,

Thanks for the truth even though it is a downer its better to get it now then after I find my poor chicks in blood. I guess my search for a coop continues....
smile.png

Quote:

Quote:
I agree--I noticed the not-overhanging-roof. You might want a gutter. I don't know too much (as in zero) about Michigan, but I would think that in general, chickens can stand pretty cold temperatures.
big_smile.png

How do you clean it out? Through that tiny little door? Between that and the total lack of any venilation I'd say pass. Also I'd say no more than 6 birds total since you are going to have days/weeks where they will NOT want to go outside.

Back
Top Bottom