Will We Have Ducklings on the Farm?

If you can get to a thrift store you might find a broiler pan or two I use those to put feed an water on top of with pee pad under it really help contain the water I had the two waterers on one and the food on the other side by side.
Great idea! We are not fans of any food and water in the duckhouse ever, but if the duckhouse is going to become a temporary brooder, it looks like we'll have no choice. I love your idea. Thanks!

I wouldn’t have 2 ducks on one nest!! I read some where that you don’t want two broody ducks on one nest! On are first year or hatching ducklings there were two broody ducks on one nest I didn’t know about this till later, but none of the ducklings hatched! And we had two broody hens on their own nest and they hatched just fine! If you want ducklings I would suggest separate one of them and let the other be mom! I like going by temperment of the mom!

I wouldn’t have 2 ducks on one nest!! I read some where that you don’t want two broody ducks on one nest! On are first year or hatching ducklings there were two broody ducks on one nest I didn’t know about this till later, but none of the ducklings hatched! And we had two broody hens on their own nest and they hatched just fine! If you want ducklings I would suggest separate one of them and let the other be mom! I like going by temperment of the mom!
Thanks. I had not heard that was a difference between ducks and chickens. I'm not sure how we'd separate them. While we're willing to turn the duckhouse into a brooder for a short period of time post hatch, we really would prefer not to do it now. Hmmmm. We'll think on this. Thanks!

Thanks. I had not heard that was a difference between ducks and chickens. I'm not sure how we'd separate them. While we're willing to turn the duckhouse into a brooder for a short period of time post hatch, we really would prefer not to do it now. Hmmmm. We'll think on this. Thanks!
Your welcome!

24 June Evening Update: Tonight was the first time they both left the nest together. Martha, who we did not see out at all yesterday, was first but Stella followed about five minutes later. It appears Martha is more committed to this project than Stella. Anyway, they both had showers, took a swim, ate, and ran around being super broody and noisy. They both had mealworms, but Martha nipped at any duck that came near her (not at me though). I quickly checked the nest while they were off it, and there appear to be five eggs. Stella went back in first (maybe 15 minutes out) and then about 10 minutes later Martha went back in.

25 June Morning Update: After two days of delicious cool and foggy weather, today is getting warm again (mid 70s and sunny). We've had a bizarre string of dry weather, and it was very warm last weekend (mid 80s and no clouds). We worry a little about the heat in the duckhouse, where Martha and Stella have their nest, but we're not sure what we can do about it.

This morning Stella came out for almost the entire morning free-range and foraging. Martha did not come out at all. I offered her a little soup, while she was on her nest, and that was very much to her liking. She did stand up and re-arrange the eggs after, and I saw that there are indeed five eggs.

One thing that occurred to us this morning is that if any of those eggs are Martha's (we assume at least one is, right?), they will not be fertile, as Angus and Martha never do the deed. Hmmmm.

Stella went back up to the nest after having a very splashy bath and shower in her little pool with her sister Goose, but Martha did not take the opportunity to come out. It seems pretty clear to us that Martha will be the moms and Stella will be the big sister. ;-)

20200625_094944.jpg

Back
Top Bottom