Pics

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Two of our three-year old silver Appleyard ducks (Stella and Martha) are now sitting on eggs (sharing the nest). They have been sitting fulltime (one of them is always on the nest) since Saturday (20 June). Both have been broody in the past (especially our broodiest girl of all, Martha), but they have never settled in for more than a day. So we've decided to see what happens. We are open to any and all advice people care to share as we embark (with them!) on this journey.

Marth and Stella on Nest.jpg

A couple of details:
  • It appears as if there are four eggs (maybe five)
  • They are nesting in the duckhouse, which is about 4'x8' and attached to the run by a relatively long (and high) ramp
  • Our drake (Angus) is separated from them in the run (he has his special fort/man cave/hole--we change the name depending on how we are feeling about him at the moment!--under the duckhouse and cannot get into the duckhouse)
  • A couple of our other girls (especially Mouse) have been going up to lay their eggs in another nest in the duckhouse each morning, but starting yesterday (23 June), we have been collecting those eggs daily.
  • Stella and Martha were taking turns up until yesterday, when we did not see Martha get up at all. Stella comes out to free range with the others in the morning and in the evening but then goes right back.
I made this short video this morning just after Stella had gone back in, so she is not settled yet:

Our plan is to let them do their thing with as little intervention as possible. A few days before we expect the first hatchling, we plan to move water and food (both the normal layer feed we use and crumble for ducklings) into the duckhouse and block it off from the run. At least that's our plan for the moment, but like I said, we are open to any advice.

Thanks!

How exciting! Ducklings are so precious and it’s always so enjoyable watching mama and babies. Sounds to me like you have it all covered as far as what you need to do. Once the ducklings hatch and they want to bring them out if you haven’t already done so you might want to put temp sides up on the ramp so no one falls off until the get use to going am coming. And you made me laugh out loud about Angus man cave, fort, hole!

These are what I used mom actually used both with out any problems. I’ve never had two ducks brood together so not sure how this will work I’ve had chickens do it and it was great one was mom the other was like big sister.
A10A64CA-2656-4A2C-B537-9A43EB285BFC.jpeg
I had these in with mom and ducklings till they didn’t need food an water over night

Morning! I am dreaming kind of late. I am glad Miss Lydia pointed me to this thread. I also have two ducks sitting on one nest. Digger started the nest. Was on it nearly 2 weeks before Latte joined her. As soon as I saw that digger was on a nest, I watched her for a couple of days and when she finally came off one morning, I just put a quick X on each of the eggs that she was on. The next day when she came off I put an X on egg number six and the third day and ask on number seven. Every day there after I have removed any egg without an X. She didn’t come off the nest the next day at all so on day five there were a couple of eggs and I let them be but they got a check mark. 4 of the first 7 had great veining that day. Eventually 2 unfertile eggs were pulled. As are any eggs each morning when I open the duck coop and they all come out. Mom’s come out for about 15 min and they sit the rest of the 24 3/4 hours😳 Digger is still the head mom but seems to enjoy Latte’s help lol. Both are first time broodies. Digger is s year old, Latte is near 8 months and from a hatch I had from my girls and incubated. I have had one suggestion to seperate for safety at hatch or incubate the last few days. Neither of those options seem easy. I feel that mom’s won’t be down for me stealing their eggs then giving them strange babies a few days later. If this was not my first time with a broody, I might try that. But I want to see this happen naturally. Breaking them up with separate nests and splitting eggs...afraid to stress them or break their broodiness snd lose all eggs💆🏻‍♀️ I have chosen to hope one (likely Digger) takes control upon hatching and I have appropriate seperation in place to quickly keep her and ducklings safe. The duck coop and run are easily divided and a 2nd door is being cut out today for the rest of the flock to access the run.

Sounds like mine will hatch ahead of yours. Expecting around 4th of July here. I will update as able. Good luck to you! So glad I am not in this boat alone!

Also, I have and continue to candle quickly every morning. All have progressed perfectly. I might be off on dates and have a few earlier than I calculated but all are pretty close in gestation. If unsure of progress I marked with a “?”. One was off a bit to the side about a week ago and was cool to the touch. I penciled “cold” on it. She heated it back up and it is healthy with the others. Air sacs are now growing, so I mark that progression daily now. Simple markings but just want to keep track😊

Back
Top Bottom