Pics

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Two of our three-year old silver Appleyard ducks (Stella and Martha) are now sitting on eggs (sharing the nest). They have been sitting fulltime (one of them is always on the nest) since Saturday (20 June). Both have been broody in the past (especially our broodiest girl of all, Martha), but they have never settled in for more than a day. So we've decided to see what happens. We are open to any and all advice people care to share as we embark (with them!) on this journey.

Marth and Stella on Nest.jpg

A couple of details:
  • It appears as if there are four eggs (maybe five)
  • They are nesting in the duckhouse, which is about 4'x8' and attached to the run by a relatively long (and high) ramp
  • Our drake (Angus) is separated from them in the run (he has his special fort/man cave/hole--we change the name depending on how we are feeling about him at the moment!--under the duckhouse and cannot get into the duckhouse)
  • A couple of our other girls (especially Mouse) have been going up to lay their eggs in another nest in the duckhouse each morning, but starting yesterday (23 June), we have been collecting those eggs daily.
  • Stella and Martha were taking turns up until yesterday, when we did not see Martha get up at all. Stella comes out to free range with the others in the morning and in the evening but then goes right back.
I made this short video this morning just after Stella had gone back in, so she is not settled yet:

Our plan is to let them do their thing with as little intervention as possible. A few days before we expect the first hatchling, we plan to move water and food (both the normal layer feed we use and crumble for ducklings) into the duckhouse and block it off from the run. At least that's our plan for the moment, but like I said, we are open to any advice.

Thanks!

How exciting! Ducklings are so precious and it’s always so enjoyable watching mama and babies. Sounds to me like you have it all covered as far as what you need to do. Once the ducklings hatch and they want to bring them out if you haven’t already done so you might want to put temp sides up on the ramp so no one falls off until the get use to going am coming. And you made me laugh out loud about Angus man cave, fort, hole!

How exciting! Ducklings are so precious and it’s always so enjoyable watching mama and babies. Sounds to me like you have it all covered as far as what you need to do. Once the ducklings hatch and they want to bring them out if you haven’t already done so you might want to put temp sides up on the ramp so no one falls off until the get use to going am coming. And you made me laugh out loud about Angus man cave, fort, hole!
Thanks!

I wish Angus was a laughing matter ;-) , but at this time of year, he can be a downright turd.

Do you think both girls will stick out the whole incubation time?

For water once (if) they hatch, I'm assuming a regular poultry waterer for the ducklings would be appropriate because it's shallow, but what about moms? We don't want to put anything in there that the ducklings could get stuck in, but we want moms to be able to dunk her head.

Thanks!

I wish Angus was a laughing matter ;-) , but at this time of year, he can be a downright turd.

Do you think both girls will stick out the whole incubation time?

For water once (if) they hatch, I'm assuming a regular poultry waterer for the ducklings would be appropriate because it's shallow, but what about moms? We don't want to put anything in there that the ducklings could get stuck in, but we want moms to be able to dunk her head.
A regular bucket that's used for goat and horse stalls is suitable for adult ducks

A regular bucket that's used for goat and horse stalls is suitable for adult ducks
I totally get that. That's what they use in their run. We're wondering about what would be the least risky for the ducklings while the ducklings and mom are confined to the duckhouse for the first little bit.

These are what I used mom actually used both with out any problems. I’ve never had two ducks brood together so not sure how this will work I’ve had chickens do it and it was great one was mom the other was like big sister.
A10A64CA-2656-4A2C-B537-9A43EB285BFC.jpeg
I had these in with mom and ducklings till they didn’t need food an water over night

These are what I used mom actually used both with out any problems. I’ve never had two ducks brood together so not sure how this will work I’ve had chickens do it and it was great one was mom the other was like big sister. View attachment 2210388I had these in with mom and ducklings till they didn’t need food an water over night
I wonder who the big sister will be ;-)

don't know how many have chimed in - but give them food and water nearby, a little bit of chicken wire to keep other ducks from getting close. Look like they'll be good co-mothers though.

The duckhouse (where the nest is) has a door, so we could just drop that until we're ready to let them meet the rest of the flock. Alternatively, we could wire off that half of the duckhouse and put food and water in there, but still let the other girls come up and see the ducklings. Maybe that would be better?

If you can get to a thrift store you might find a broiler pan or two I use those to put feed an water on top of with pee pad under it really help contain the water I had the two waterers on one and the food on the other side by side.

Back
Top Bottom