Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

Will you be buying baby chicks next Spring, and if so from where?

• Yes, from a hatchery

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Yes, from my local farm store

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • Yes, from a local breeder

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I am immune to chicken math

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • No, I will be hatching from my own eggs

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • Maaaaaybe

Votes: 25 29.8%

• Total voters
We’ll be ordering some hatching eggs from a local breeder again in the spring, but we will wait for a hen to go broody first. At which point we’ll madly rush to order whatever the local breeder has available at the time! :)

The farms that supply TSC claim to have a 90% accuracy in sexing chicks, so be prepared for a surprise cockerel. I ordered four 8-week old pullets and one ended up being a cockerel.
TSC has a lot lower sexing accuracy than that...this is because employees (no hate on employees, I know they're trying their best) will mix up chicks of different breeds and chicks from the straight run bins with chicks from the sexed bins.

Chicken math seems incurable 😂 My goodness I just keep adding with no end in sight. My wife thinks it is great, keeps me out of her hair.
Chicken math
perfect chicken meme.jpg

If you must buy from a hatchery, I suggest Cackle.
I have had great luck with buying from them (when not looking for anything more than hatchery quality that is) because they are honest about breeds, and have a great sexing system. They also have a WIDE variety of chickens and fowl, plus the mortality rate is extremely low. I personally have never had any deaths during or after shipping, and I’ve never known anyone who has.

For chicks and poults I’d say they are great. That’s where I got mine this year and I’ll be ordering again next year. But..... their keets I’ll never order again. I lost 5 out of 18. That might not be bad, but it left me with less white keets then I was expecting:/
However the chicks and poults were in great shape and I didn’t lose a single one of them.

I’m not sure how to vote.
I’ll be ordering chicks, turkeys, and maybe ducks.
Also hatch my own eggs to hopefully end up with some green egg layers🤞🏻Plus hatching to sell.
I saw someone on Craigslist selling keets of different colors and I’d really like to get some from them if they are selling again next year.
We may get pheasants too. It will be a busy year. Haha.

For chicks and poults I’d say they are great. That’s where I got mine this year and I’ll be ordering again next year. But..... their keets I’ll never order again. I lost 5 out of 18. That might not be bad, but it left me with less white keets then I was expecting:/
However the chicks and poults were in great shape and I didn’t lose a single one of them.

I’m not sure how to vote.
I’ll be ordering chicks, turkeys, and maybe ducks.
Also hatch my own eggs to hopefully end up with some green egg layers🤞🏻Plus hatching to sell.
I saw someone on Craigslist selling keets of different colors and I’d really like to get some from them if they are selling again next year.
We may get pheasants too. It will be a busy year. Haha.
Thanks I didn’t know! I only keep chickens (I don’t think it would be a good idea to keep my own turkeys or guineas for the sake of the wild turkeys that already are struggling to keep a population going) so I would not have known about experience with other birds from them. I’m sorry you lost your birds, shipping love animals is risky, more so for different kinds. I suggest Cackle only because of their very honest breed labeling, and their extremely low mortality rate for chicks and ducklings. That like you said might be different for other types of birds, I’m glad you were able to see my post and add to what I said 👍

I started ordering fall chicks a couple of years ago and love it. The chicks get big enough to go outside before cold really hits and are old enough to lay by spring. If I get spring chicks, I spend months waiting for eggs then winter hits and egg laying slows down. So far, so good.
This is so true!!! Also summer chicks are the worst, because if they don’t lay in the winter, you have to wait 9 months!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom