Wind blocking

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Quick question with the upcoming winter season....my coop has an open window directly adjacent to the roost. Should I completely block the wind with plastic or just put a shutter up to knock it down some?

There will still be a ton of ventilation if I block it completely...TIA

I have roll ups I made using heavy cotton tarp. I attach the size tarp pieve I need to a top and bottom 2x3. Then I attach one of the 2x3s to the coop over the opening. When I don’t need to block the wind, I just roll up the bottom piece and tie with string or chain. The roll up is the green piece in my pic. Here it is rolled up out of the way.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Quick question with the upcoming winter season....my coop has an open window directly adjacent to the roost. Should I completely block the wind with plastic or just put a shutter up to knock it down some?

There will still be a ton of ventilation if I block it completely...TIA
If you have plenty of ventilation with it blocked, it should be fine to block it.

That said, you didn't mention if you've have draft issues with it or precipitation intrusion issues. An open window near a roost is still fine in winter as long as you don't have the issues listed above. I have all my windows open 99% of the time and my flock will still choose to sleep next to them in winter (coldest so far has been 12F). I only close windows if we have sideways wind driving rain and snow through the window.

If you have plenty of ventilation with it blocked, it should be fine to block it.

That said, you didn't mention if you've have draft issues with it or precipitation intrusion issues. An open window near a roost is still fine in winter as long as you don't have the issues listed above. I have all my windows open 99% of the time and my flock will still choose to sleep next to them in winter (coldest so far has been 12F). I only close windows if we have sideways wind driving rain and snow through the window.
My back window is directly beside the roost at eye level to the chickens.....it goes the entire width so I was thinking about putting a shutter up on the roost end to block off the draft. We get our winter weather from the north which is the direction the window faces.

My back window is directly beside the roost at eye level to the chickens.....it goes the entire width so I was thinking about putting a shutter up on the roost end to block off the draft. We get our winter weather from the north which is the direction the window faces.
That could work, or the furnace filters that Auntiejessi3 mentioned are an option too, if you want to keep it open but cut down on the amount of wind penetration.

Back
Top Bottom