Windows at roost level: would shutters fix this draft problem?

I guess my answer is: it varies. Because I have a roost plunked directly between 2 windows but I can leave it open almost all year round without issue, as the winds don't blow into the direction of either window. So it honestly might be fine without any changes, but only you can verify that, as the coop is sitting on your lot with your wind directions to be mindful of.

Absolutely. I'm a desert dweller but I board up the front of my coop in winter, then take off the entire front wall for summer.

The goal is ventilation though so are the windows just supplemental venting? You need ventilation even in winter but it should be above their roost so they aren't cold and don't get wet.
The windows are supplemental. We are thinking of bringing the roots down a bit so they are under them. Or else extending the coop dimensions to make more roosting room in areas without windows.

I guess my answer is: it varies. Because I have a roost plunked directly between 2 windows but I can leave it open almost all year round without issue, as the winds don't blow into the direction of either window. So it honestly might be fine without any changes, but only you can verify that, as the coop is sitting on your lot with your wind directions to be mindful of.
We have pretty blustery cool winters here. We are going to rethink the ventilation before the cool weather arrives again.

You might want to do some re-construction -- raising those vents right up to the gable peaks instead of down low. Both heat and ammonia rise and need to be let out at the very top of the coop.

Extending the roof overhang to keep rain out and adding soffit vents would also enable you to close those window in cold weather.
We definitely need to extend the roof! It's so close to the actual coop wood now and water still seeps in the edges a bit.

Is your roof hinged?
I see a latch there. the roost bar is even with the bottom edge of the green roof, right?

what I would consider doing it it’s not much trouble, is lower the roost bar a foot or even up to 2’ if you can, and then add ventilation under the roof, meaning if it is hinged, open it 8” or so and make that the new “closed” position (it will be less steep now) and Frame out/ screen off that opening. Now your hens will be mostly below the level of the ventilation. Here is mine, my roost bar itself is probably about 4” below, and 2 feet away from, the big front window that extends the length of the roof. My climate is a little warmer.

being up high in the coop as you have it would be bad if you don’t have enough ventilation (like closing windows), that is a recipe for frost bite as their warm breath condenses and freezes all around them. Give them head room, and ventilation, And you’ll be doing awesome!View attachment 2197408View attachment 2197409
Thanks for the info! Love your coop. The roost bars are pretty much at the same level as the bottom edge of the green roof. Appreciate those ideas, definitely need to change this design up for better ventilation. I wish we had gone with a different design (this is the Anna White design) that was more mindful of the ventilation piece.

Here are pictures, we are far from done and I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Dimensions are 5 by 5 ..25 square feet total
We are also in the process of building the Anna White design. We’re to the point of addressing ventilation/windows as well. We put an 8” circular vent right up in the peak of each gable, and will make a ridge vent on the roof as well. Our problem is where to put the windows, how big, how to beat hinge them, etc. We altered the plans a bit to make the planter box only 8” wide so it would in turn extend the footprint of the coop. My concern too is if we put the window below the circular vent, and the roost just a bit below that, will it be too drafty? Seems like with window will still be at roost level, possible slightly higher. One thought is to make a rectangle shape window with the long ends on the top and bottom and then make the width 6” or so. But, then it will have to hinge from the top or bottom to open and close it. Here is how far we have gotten, see pics below. I’m sure you’re done with yours now, hope you are enjoying the design and are happy with it!
F1F3F777-2469-49A4-A5F5-01B6D43AB72B.jpeg
EAD69C29-1B30-4E23-8E04-673EA647D1D6.jpeg
C54E4A0A-481D-4663-BEA2-48E8C457EB79.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom