Windows screen on top of brooder???

poule de luxe

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 17, 2012
I have got 12 bantam eggs in the incubator du december 15th and so we made a brooder last weekend (thanks to Missjenny for the "chickaquarium" idea).... loved it.

My question is: Do you think putting a window screen on top is a good idea??

I want them to have enough ventilation, but I also want to avoid having chick dust everywhere since I wish to keep them in the house for at leat the first month.

I know that chicks can also smell, but I will try to remove the pooh at leat twice a day.... Do you think it makes sense or am I totally going to regret this and send them in the garage after a two weeks?? This is my first experience incubating eggs...

By the way, the brooder is 2 X 4 x 2...

Thanks!

I have got 12 bantam eggs in the incubator du december 15th and so we made a brooder last weekend (thanks to Missjenny for the "chickaquarium" idea).... loved it.

My question is: Do you think putting a window screen on top is a good idea??

I want them to have enough ventilation, but I also want to avoid having chick dust everywhere since I wish to keep them in the house for at leat the first month.

I know that chicks can also smell, but I will try to remove the pooh at leat twice a day.... Do you think it makes sense or am I totally going to regret this and send them in the garage after a two weeks?? This is my first experience incubating eggs...

By the way, the brooder is 2 X 4 x 2...

Thanks!

I am going to wait and see the replies to this one. I have 29 EE's hatching out by this coming Wednesday and face the same thing. The screen sounds like a good idea since they do produce lots of dust. I would like to keep mine in the upstairs for a few days but then move them to my basement. I personally think there should be enough ventilation.

Thank you for your answer shades of bue and good luck for the hatching!!!!! I wish you lots of healthy chicks!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Mine had hardware cloth for the lid because it was outdoors but you could use window screening with the brooder in your house. You absolutely need to have a lid to keep them from flying out but you don't want to give up the ventilation either so some sort of screening is needed.

As for whether you'll wish they were outside, well, that's hard to say. I would have found the noise and odor and dust a nuisance in the house. But, I could watch them for hours so I also understand the appeal of having them nearby.

Back
Top Bottom