Wing Clipping- to clip or not to clip

Ms Miami

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
Coral Gables, Florida
I know this has been posted several times but I'm still not sure. Im not against clipping. Only reason I wouldn't clip is because its another thing I have to do since hubby, uh... is a sentimental city slicker ;)
My two BO ladies are 10 weeks, they fly to roost. BUT they are big enough to fly to the fence to roost. I was going to wait for the first molt to clip in order to see if we could get away without it. They don't roost on the fence often, and because we are in the suburbs with some risk of overhead predators as well as Santeria they are supervised during free ranging (and a locked coop). I usually shoo them off the fence before they can get an idea to hop over.
My questions:
Is it easier to train or clip?
If I clip, what kind of sisors are best?
Is there a good one person teqnique?
Any other helpful input is welcome!

You could rig some sticks and string to make the top of the fence difficult to land on. Buffs will soon be too big to fly more than a couple of feet off the ground.

I don't clip wing feathers, so I can only refer you to others who do.

Chris

If you don't clip, I'd second the string/wire technique. Just run it along the top of the fence, about 4-6 inches above it, and they won't be able to land there anymore.

Suck it up and clip. Make certain primaries are clipped close enough. Do both sides and do a little closer than diagrams indicate. To compensate need for reaching roost, provide intermediate roosts below current roost to birds can effectively hop to desired location. All this will put birds at risk with predators so you need to be prepared to step on that end.

I think you should clip since they will probably try to fly out again and clipping is a quick and easy solution. My hatchery Orpington flies over my 5 ft. fence and she's a couple years old so yours might be a problem too depending on how big she is. As for the scissors just get your sharpest pair it doesn't matter too much as long as they can cut the feathers fairly easily. It's also a lot easier if you have a partner to hold the pullet

Thank you all! Very helpful. Since I am a pirate (no BYC in our town) I don't want to attract code compliance with anything on the fence. Thankfully my neighbors love the hens and come over often to "bird watch".
I am going out to get a fresh pair of scissors after work today to use. All weekend I have been getting them used to me opening their wings. I have convinced my other half to help me clip both wings.

What age would you recommend for the first clipping, my PR are almost 8 weeks and I'm on about the 7 day of free ranging, When that got next to a 4' chain link fence yesterday they were all looking up at it and thinking about it so I got up and shewed them away from there.

Back
Top Bottom